Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice - about to shoot a wedding!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice - about to shoot a wedding!

Hi everyone,

I am about to shoot "backup" for my sister-in-law's wedding. There's a possibility that my "backup" role could end up being primary, as the photographer was described by the bride as a work colleague who does photography on the side. He could very well be great; but I want to be prepared just in case.

I have a 7D and the following lenses to work with: EFS 15-85, EF 24-105, EF 85 f/1.8 and Sigma 30 f/1.4. I also have a 430 EXII speedlite. I also have a 70-300L and 100L macro, but I doubt I'll use them.

I figure I'll use the 30 or 85 prime or both for the ceremony (depending on my location), the 15-85 or 24-105 for the outdoor cocktail hour (with speedlite depending on shadows), and the 30 prime and speedlite for the reception.

Any words of wisdom? I'm actually excited and a little nervous!

Brian

The Macro would be good for ring shots. Not sure what the CA is like on the 100mm, but the 85mm is fairly strong, so shots of the bride outside might benefit from using the macro rather than the 85mm as well.

And I can tell you now, people will suggest renting the 17-55 to replace the 15-85 for anything indoors.

Having never shot a wedding, that's about all I can add.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    I figure I'll use the 30 or 85 prime or both for the ceremony (depending on my location), the 15-85 or 24-105 for the outdoor cocktail hour (with speedlite depending on shadows), and the 30 prime and speedlite for the reception.

Brian
    That sounds like a pretty good plan. I'd suggest getting pictures of the happy couple getting ready too. In that case, you could probably use the flash and bounce it off of the closest wall for pleasing results (assuming the wall is white or near white...otherwise, use the ceiling).

Unless your in a dungeon, you can use your 24-105 for the ceremony. I used my 70-200 f4 IS for almost an entire wedding with the 7D. If your going to second, you should be able to use your primes at will, but I believe your 24-105 is going to be a little more useful. You don't want to miss a shot because your changing lenses during the ceremony. Don't be afraid to use ISO to keep your speed up since noise is easy to clean up. Heck, some people even add noise for artistic effects.

Well, the wedding weekend is over. The hired pro ended up being very competent, and that certainly took the edge off. I tried to capture what he wasn't/couldn't get. I was in the front row for the ceremony. Here's a couple with the 24-105.

Name:  IMG_4891 - Version 3.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  181.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4911 (1).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  154.9 KB

Here's one from the cocktail hour and reception. My six year-old pretty much owned the dance floor. He danced in the center, surrounded by others, for a good 45 minutes!

Thanks again for all your help and words of encouragement! I actually learned a lot, particularly about using the speedlite. I also learned that I don't really love the 7D's noise at ISO 1600 and above....I guess I should invest in standalone NR software.

Here's the link to the full gallery: http://riverview.smugmug.com/Other/R...4326192_Gzw3kD

Brian
    Last edited by thekingb; 07-23-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Good for you Brian, this is a great entry into a challenging genre. Having done this myself, you tend to need a longer lens in most circumstances.
    Depending on trhe venue for the ceremony your 70-300L could be your best option, so you don't have to zoom with your feet. If you are not the primary photographer you are naturally granted less access and your zoom will be handy to get you close to the action, depending on lighting.
    If you are familiar with the venue, your 85mm of 100mmL may be a better option if you are introduced as the "second" photographer and are allowed to walk up and down the aisle and get in close to the action.
    The post ceremony "family" shots are the hardest if you are not the primary photographer as the subjects will give their attention to the primary photographer and it doesn't matter how hard you try your shots will be as good as the people standing beside you with a point and shoot.
    Your 15-85 will come in handy, as the cocktail party shots tend to be very cramped and framing can be difficult.
    I have had a great time when I have done this and I am sure you will too.
    Have fun and good luck.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thanks everyone for the great thoughts. I'll have the whole kit with me, so I can adjust as necessary. I'll be at the rehearsal, which is a good trial run.

I'm pretty comfy with the flash, but I lost my stofen diffuser yesterday. What a pain.

Good point about the 24-105 and pushing the ISO. Much more versatile. But I will lose the bokeh of the fast primes.

I have been doing wedding for 15 years, I now limit myself to no more than one per month.

Advice:

Be prepared. (I've run marathons that were less exhausting).
    IT IS NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT ITS ABOUT KNOWING WHERE TO BE WHEN.

Know your equipment and do not use cameras and lenses you are not extremely familiar with.
    Have a back up camera of the same type as your primary. (this is a must) Spare batteries, cards, flash.

Know your bride, you have to sit down with her before the wedding, days before the wedding.
    Know what she wants and then try not to bother her the day of.

Go to the rehearsal, ask to set the lighting to the level of the ceremony.
    Take test shots during the rehearsal.
    Know your light.
    Use no flash whenever possible, but know the limits of your depth of field.
    I use single point focus in the church with low apertures and make sure my bride is in focus ALL the time.
    The hardest shot is always the bride coming down the aisle.
    Dont let the bride be out of focus, and don't blow out the dress.

Move around discretely. Dress appropriately and try to not be noticed. Dress like a guest but do not stand out.
    Ask the church if they have any rules about where you can and can stand during the ceremony.

Know the sequence of events.
    Where is the bride getting ready
    Where is the groom getting ready
    Can you cover both locations?

Know where your bride is at all times.
    Make a shot list of MUST get shots (ie bride putting on dress)

Have a assistant help you carry stuff.
    I use three cameras during the wedding each with a different lens and different settings.
    Its not about having the right lens, its about being in the right places and having a camera ready to capture the moment.
    I recommend beginners only concentrate on journalist style. Tell you bride to act like you are not there.
    Plan to capture the day, and to tell a story, with the layout.
    DO NOT PROMISE TO GIVE OUT YOUR JPEGS. ONLY GIVE OUT YOUR BEST.
    GET EVERY SHOT THE BRIDE WANTS. GET EVERY GROUP SHE WANTS, GET EVERY AUNT AND GREAT AUNT THAT SHE WANTS.
    Get to the reception hall before everyone else to take the tables and the small details.
    (Figure how to do this when you are still at the church or doing off site shooting and everyone is off to the reception hall except you, can you do this the night before? Ask at the rehearsal, or have a second shooter)

Are there pictures at the church of family? There are techniques to save time here if you are on a tight schedule.
    Leave 10 min for each group. (these always take longer than the bride thinks)
    Everyone wants photos but no one wants to take the time for them.
    If you have a lot of groups the bride need to know how much time this will take. (ahead of time)
    Dont be a source of frustration for you bride.
    This is her day and EVERYTHING needs to be about her.
    Maids of honor are usually not much help but it helps to try to bond with the best man and maid of honor. (they can be of help)

Will there be off site photos between the church and the reception.
    If so you need to scope this out ahead of time, at the same time of day, look for locations and the best light.
    Know what you are going to do before you get there.
    You must be able to organize groups. (they may be drinking at his time, don't ride with anyone, get your own driver)

Do groups by starting with the large groups and work down.
    You will not be able to reassemble the crowd once they scatter.
    Same idea for church groups. Try to place your bride and add people around her. Dont keep moving the bride.
    You need someone to help you look at your groups as you concentrate on the camera setting. Think how people should be grouped.
    Watch how people are turned, watch how hands are hanging and mens coats not hanging correctly.
    This is not the time to try something new.
    Dont let there be equipment problems. Bring enough of everything.
    Know your flash and how to change settings without thinking about it.

Try to eat when you can, and drink plenty of water.
    Wear comfortable shoes. Don't drink alcohol.

The reception: know your shot list and when things are going to happen, first dances, cake cutting, tosses? These happen quickly dont get caught sleeping.
    Work the room and take at least one shot at each table.

The night before the wedding go over in your mind what is going to happen the whole day.

Equipment advice:
    If you only hand a 24-70mm 2.8 you could do the whole wedding just fine.
    Dont get over involed with more lenses unless you have more bodies to keep them on.
    As soon as you change to a prime your wish you had your zoom back on.
    My three cameras for the day:

In the church (no flash)
    5D 24-70mm 2.8
    5D 70-200mm 2.8
    5D 24mm prime 1.8

Reception
    5D 24-70mm with 580EX all night.

Outdoors
    5D 24-70mm 2.8 (with 580EX if I need fill flash)
    5D 70-200 2.8
    5D 85mm 1.4 prime

Its a marathon if you are alone. Be rested, prepared.
    Push the ISO instead of missing shots.
    Good luck
    Last edited by iND; 07-20-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Terrific advice iND.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Terrific advice iND.
    Wow iND. Now that's a helluva primer for me. Great to remind me to "tell a story" with the sequence of shots. Since it's my sister in law getting married, I know the players and should be able to anticipate well.

I can grab my mother in law's Canon XS as a second body so I'll always have two options.

Thanks so much.