Thread: Shutter Button issue Need Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shutter Button issue Need Help!

So I have been having an issue recently that when I press the shutter button on my 40D it doesnt take the picture right away. It lags alot. The shutter button on the battery pack works just fine, but the main shutter button seems to be "wearing out". I would like to know if anyone has had an issue with this and weather or not its fixable.

Thanks

Joel

Re: Shutter Button issue Need Help!

If you want to fix it yourself... http://www.pbase.com/tobbenh/40dshutter

Sounds fun but I always have pieces left over.....[].

Thanks anyways

Joel

With the lens cap on and AF mode set to AI Servo does the shutter button still lag?

Chuck

Yeah I just tried it and it still lags. Ive never had anything sent out to repair so im alittle leary at the moment.

thanks

joel

I'm sorry. I would be bummed too.

Yeah, my forty fires just fine in AI servo with the cap on. Thought maybe it might be focus confirmation in one shot but I didn't want to sound presumptuous. Sounds like your well aware of what's going on.

Then I would do a little research on the service in your area. I've never sent in anything Canon so I can't comment. All my other service issues have gone very smoothly. The only downside if any is the time involved. I have to say that I've seen service mentioned in many many posts and only seen one or two negative comments. I think for the most part it'sa pretty smooth deal. Let us know how things go.

Take Care,

Chuck

Alan

Joel,

By chance, did you get the camera wet near the shutter button?

I had a shutter button on a 30D that behaved this way. However, mine was due to my carelessness. I was using it while taking a ride on the Maid of the Mist, in Niagara Falls. This boat pushed you right up near the falls. The falls generate clouds of mist.

I tried to protect the camera as much as possible, but alas, I failed. Later that day, the shutter behaved erratically. I dried it out for several days, then it seemed to work, but that was short lived.

It would shoot, but it had a lag to it.

I ended up sending it to Canon. They fixed it. It set me back $185, but it worked great after that. My guess is that your 40D will cost you this much, too.

Here's the quick fix that I've tried and it's worked both times.

-Turn off thecamera

-Press the button for about 20-30 times

-Do a circular motion (twisting) every time while the button is being pressed down.

Try those steps first. If it works, it will work for a while, problem will occur again because the contacts beneath the button are dirty and the only way to permanently fixthis problemis to open it and clean it. Good luck and please let me and others know the result, thanks.

Read this thread if you want to learn more,

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/972/11046.aspx#11046

Thanks Nate I will have to try that.

Joel