Thread: Orbis Ringflash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Orbis Ringflash

Is it worth it?

I've read reviews that absolutely rave about it, and some that claim it's gawd-awful. I can see how handholding it would be a pain, as you wouldn't be able to zoom easily. But I also want the ring flash look.

I guess I'm looking to be persuaded either way at the moment. I'm a high school senior without a huge budget ($200 for the orbis would take me about a month). I love shooting portraits and experimenting with lighting, but my other side leans to the "am I going to use it that much" "Do I really want to spend $200 when I could get an alienbee 800 for $280?" "Should I put that money in a fund for the 24-70 f/2.8L ?"

It seems I'm paralyzed with indecisiveness. I know my next step is to replace my Cactus V2s system with cybersyncs, but after that I'm at a loss.

Sorry for a "help me do something I should be able to do on my own" post. haha

-Rodger

Re: Orbis Ringflash

I would spend my money on specialty items last, get the general purpose stuff first that has multiple uses.

I think it was the strobist.com did a comparison of the Ray Flash and Orbis and the Ray flash was found to be better. While the Alien Bees was best.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/10/ray-flash-vs-orbis-vs-alienbees-abr800.html

I can attest to the Ray Flash. I use it Quite often as a fill flash . I set the on camera flash as a master and it will control my other Canon flashes.

It isn't too awkward only when you set the camera down. .My only gripe is, it blocks the focus assist beam. In low light in can be a pain.

I used the Ray Flash for fill on this

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_1332sm.jpg[/img]

Thanks guys!

Keith, thank you for the link. I just finished reading it. Ring flash looks tempting and it's definitely something I can't wait to use, but I think I'll hold off for now seeing as most of my portraiture is outdoors.

Thanks for the help,

Rodger

Outside this thing is awesome if you want to soften hard shadows from the sun. I think it makes a way better fill than a regular on camera flash.

Ringlight is also great for reducing the appearance of flaws since light is coming at it from all angles.

Not trying to sway you (since I'm also a huge fan of the 24-70), but don't think one dimensionally about ring light. Look at Dan Winters' stuff. 90% of his stuff uses ring fill and it is absolutely amazing stuff.

That stuff is amazing!

Haha in all reality, I'll most likely change my mind a couple more times before I decide for sure. At any rate, the next step (hopefully Christmas present!) is a set of cybersyncs. I have all the money from senior portrait prints/product going into a "24-70" envelope haha. So we'll see if my paychecks over the next month or two warrant an orbis ring flash.

Thanks for your help Keith! Do you have any examples of outdoor use? I know you said you have the ray flash, but same thing almost haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

That stuff is amazing!

Haha in all reality, I'll most likely change my mind a couple more times before I decide for sure. At any rate, the next step (hopefully Christmas present!) is a set of cybersyncs. I have all the money from senior portrait prints/product going into a "24-70" envelope haha. So we'll see if my paychecks over the next month or two warrant an orbis ring flash.

Thanks for your help Keith! Do you have any examples of outdoor use? I know you said you have the ray flash, but same thing almost haha.

No problem!

Yeah if ring is used properly it is a very useful tool. The only shot I have that is outdoors was shot as full blown "ring light" shot. I have shot quick throw a ways just to show people the fill light aspects. I'll shoot a couple over the weekend and post here. For now here is that "ring light" shot