Thread: C & C Please, a few off camera flash shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

C & C Please, a few off camera flash shots

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2196.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2254.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2216.JPG[/img]

50D 24 - 105 f/4 L off camera strobe

Hi all, please have a look at these and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Scott

C & C Please, a few off camera flash shots

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2196.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2254.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2216.JPG[/img]

50D 24 - 105 f/4 L off camera strobe

Hi all, please have a look at these and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Scott

Re: C & C Please, a few off camera flash shots

Scott,

Great portraits here. I think the 1st and third are my favorites. Something about the low angle of the strobe in the second shot or the seemingly low contrast in that shot just wasn't doing it for me. Might even be that her hand and arm was cut off. Things I might have tried are putting the keylight camera right in the second shot and changing the composition slightly. Otherwise, good stuff man. I love off camera lighting and what it can do for your work.

Keep it up, sir.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Hi Scott,

Very nice! I especially like the 3rd one - it's the most obvious that off-camera flash was used, and it really works well in that shot. Keep it up!

--John

Scott,

Great work! I agree with what has already been said. I also really like the 1st and 3rd shots. I think the 2nd needs a little more "pop". One more stop on the flash ought to do it (next time of course).

I find the far right side of the frame on the 1st shot a little distracting. It may be necessary for context, butI'm not sure. I'd consider cropping it out though just to see how it looks.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Thanks for your comments guys, just though I&rsquo;d add a few more to see what you think from the same day. As well a crop of the first shot.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Cheers
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Scott
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2196c.JPG[/img]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2182.JPG[/img]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2226.JPG[/img]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.38/IMG_5F00_2153.JPG[/img]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]I think with this last shot the backgroung is a bit blown out?

I think I like the crop of the 1st shot better. How about you?

Of the second set, I'll go with the first and third. I think the cropped version of the first pic works best.

Your ratio between highlight and shadow is a little steep in a few of the shots (especially the black &amp; whites). I'd suggest using the ambient as a fill by adjusting the exposure accordingly.