Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much is one photo worth for a news article?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How much is one photo worth for a news article?

Hi All -

A while back I posted a photo on flickr (and here) of myself and called it "Too old to hire, too young to retire". Well, it turns out that CNN Money wants to do an article on the subject and give the article the same name ...and guess who they might interview for the article! I got an email from them today asking for my phone number, along with a number of others so I'm not 100% sure I will be but I think there is a high possibility considering the title similarity.

Anyway, should I ask if they want to buy the photo for the article or just give it to them if they want to use it? If so, for how much? Even with the fiscal cliff extension my unemployment comp is due to run out in a couple weeks. Since the overall percent of unemployed people is down in Wisconsin, the federal gov't decided we are not entitled to the extension. So, if I can make a $ off the photo, it would be a godsend!

Denise

The problem with selling images to someone big is that they get discounts. From what I've seen of Getty, if 'Jane' wants your image for her cookbook cover, she might have to pay $50. Great. But, if Hallmark, who has a bulk image agreement, wants that same image, they'll get it for $0.43.

I imagine CNN buys enough stock images that they have some sort of bulk agreement too. Ask for any sort of reasonable price, and you won't get it, since they can find a similar image for pennies.

It doesn't hurt to try to sell them the image, but don't get your hopes too high.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    The problem with selling images to someone big is that they get discounts. From what I've seen of Getty, if 'Jane' wants your image for her cookbook cover, she might have to pay $50. Great. But, if Hallmark, who has a bulk image agreement, wants that same image, they'll get it for $0.43.

I imagine CNN buys enough stock images that they have some sort of bulk agreement too. Ask for any sort of reasonable price, and you won't get it, since they can find a similar image for pennies.

It doesn't hurt to try to sell them the image, but don't get your hopes too high.
    Yeah, I already had a feeling that would be the case. I think I would just let them use it for free, IF they want it but I'm sure they have access to an over-abundance of photos to choose from.

Hi Denise,

Another way to maybe look at this is as an investment. By going out of your way to make sure they have a great experience with you they may devote a significant portion of the piece to your story. You never know, a job offer could materialize from the coverage. There may even be a local outlet interested in picking it up. The local paper in my neck of the woods is always looking for content.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hi Denise,

Another way to maybe look at this is as an investment. By going out of your way to make sure they have a great experience with you they may devote a significant portion of the piece to your story. You never know, a job offer could materialize from the coverage. There may even be a local outlet interested in picking it up. The local paper in my neck of the woods is always looking for content.
    I am considering contacting our local newspaper. It would be awesome if a job did materialize out of it!!!

I just received another email from CNN and she will be interviewing me Monday late morning!
    Last edited by ddt0725; 02-08-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post

I just received another email from CNN and she will be interviewing me Monday late morning!
    Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post

It was raining outside that is why the window looks nasty.
    Well it is a nasty situation.

But I think the image is great.
    Mark

If you don't sell it use it to promote yourself. Not sure what type of job you are looking for, if it is outside of photography get a link to your resume with the picture. Either along with the photo or in the watermark. If you have a LinkedIn account, point to that and beef up the profile. That will show what you are looking for and give a mechanism to be reached. Maybe some offers or interest will come your way.

Eric

This sounds like great news Denise. The money for a photo will be nothing compared to the potential employment opportunities that could come from the interview.
    I wish you all the best with this one. You go girl.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    This sounds like great news Denise. The money for a photo will be nothing compared to the potential employment opportunities that could come from the interview.
    I wish you all the best with this one. You go girl.
    Thanks, Steve!! Hopefully, something good will come out of it even if it is to bring more attention to the problem people like myself are faced with!

How much is one photo worth for a news article?

Congrats Denise. If nothing else, this is an amazing compliment for your photography.