Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EF-S Lens & compatability:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EF-S Lens & compatability:

Good evening all:

I have been doing a fair bit of research on just what cameras they are compatible with. I know that they will work with 1.6 sensors and not with full frame. What I have not figured out is are they compatible with the 1.3 sensors. I have not been able to find it addressed any where. It is most likely someplace very obvious and I have over looked it, or some other obvious place I have not thought of looking yet.

So does any one here have any idea if EF-S lens's work on cameras with the 1.3 sensor like the 1D Mrk IV? [:^)] Yea that is what I'm aiming for next. Well, if your gonna dream might as well dream high.

Thanks & Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Re: EF-S Lens & compatability:

Short answer as far as I'm aware is no. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C (1.6x) sensor cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by cfnz
    Short answer as far as I'm aware is no. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C (1.6x) sensor cameras.

Excluding the 10D, where Canon had not yet come up with the idea of EF-S lenses.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    Excluding the 10D, where Canon had not yet come up with the idea of EF-S lenses.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Maybe not in the USA, but in Germany:

<table border="0" width="413" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="170" valign="top"]
    <h2 class="pbold"]Objektiv-Anschluss</h2>
    </td>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="2" valign="top"]</td>
    <td width="1" valign="top"]</td>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="5" valign="top"]</td>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="225" valign="top"]EF (keine EF-S Objektive)</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

(no EF-S lenses on the 10D, see http://www.canon.de/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_10D/index.asp?specs=1)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

May be not in the USA, but in Germany: No EF-S lenses on the 10D.<span lang="DE"]

That's exactly what David is (correctly) stating - EF-S lenses do not mount on the 10D. They do mount on all other Canon APS-C bodies (7D, 20D and up, and all the digital Rebels).

Hi cfnz, alexniedra, DavidEccleston, Yves, neuroanatomist &amp; Kayaker72:

Thank you all very much for that information. Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated. I'm kinda in the middle of a debate with my buddy on this and he refuses to believe that they are only compatible with only the APS-C and not the APS-H. As for me I only have one EF-S lens the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM, so it is not like I need to replace all of my lens's.

Thanks Again &amp; Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide
    Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated. I'm kinda in the middle of a debate with my buddy on this and he refuses to believe that they are only compatible with only the APS-C and not the APS-H.

Hi Wayne,

Check the [url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_iv#Specifications]1DIV specs[/url]: "<span class="bold_text"]Compatible Lenses:Canon EF." Compare that to the same section of the specs for an APS-C camera, e.g. the [url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_60d#Specifications]60D specs[/url]: "<span class="bold_text"]Compatible Lenses:Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses)."

Hope that settles the debate...

As a side note, if you mount a Mk II extension tube (EF 12mm Extension Tube II orEF 25mm Extension Tube II) to an APS-H body (or a full frame body, for that matter), you can then mount an EF-S lens to the extension tube. Of course, you'll lose the ability to focus to infinity, and get a lot of vignetting, so you wouldn't want to do that. But, technically, you can make an EF-S lens compatible (sort of) with an APS-H or FF body that way (Bryan did that in his review of the EF-S 17-55mm, down near the bottom of the review).

Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated.

Another source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF-S

Also, almost all of Bryan's EF-S reviews have some statment such as " Before reading any farther, you need to be aware that all Canon EOS cameras can accept EF lenses but only Canon EF-S compatible bodies (1.6x FOVCF only) can accept EF-S lenses. "

Finally, canon's website talks about it, most specifically the compatible camera bodies are listed on page 2 of the instruction manual for each EF-S lens . I don't see any APS-H cameras on that list. Here is the link to the EF-S 15-85:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_15_85mm_f_3_5_5_6_is_usm#BrochuresAndManuals

Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated.
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

My link is from the official technical data sheet, found at canon.de, the German Canon hp. AndI can't believe in differences between Canon Europe and Canon USA...so no EF-S lenses on the 10D (or any other 1.3x crop sensor cameras).

The technical problem is the mirror, not the distance between lens and sensor. You can remove the mirror (but do You want to try it???), but then You have no more viewfinder...

So the only right decision is: 10DOR EF-S lenses!