Thread: Bag reccomendations for a student

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bag reccomendations for a student

I'm a beginning photography student, and I'm looking for a bag. I've got a 600D with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm lens. What I'd like to find is a bag that I can carry those in and have them protected while at the same time having some storage space for some school supplies as well (pens, legal pad, spiral notebook maybe a slim 3-ring binder). I'm looking for either a sling or backpack type bag, something close to a Clik Elite Impulse sling.. Ideally, I'd want a sling bag with easy access to at least my camera and storage for a notebook (of the paper variety) of some sort. However, I'm pretty sure said ideal bag doesn't exist.

At bare minimum:
    Backpack or sling
    Padding for a 600D with kit lens
    Non-camera storage

So with all that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions on where I should be looking or what I should be looking at? I appreciate any sort of help.

Look at Crumpler bags - some of the best quality and well thought out dual purpose camera bags out there in my opinion.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I bought a cheap Kata holster for my 60D + 15-85mm. I then just chuck that bag in whatever bag I'm taking for the day.

Welcome to the forums.

Some brand names to investigate including the two mentioned are Kata, Crumpler, Lowepro, think tank. and tamrac. I ended up with a Lowepro Fastpack 350 and it may do exactly what you are looking for. Actually, you may be able to get away with the Fastpack 250. But I was also looking into the Kata 467i and Kata Bumblebee.

I agree with Kayaker, look at the Lowepro Fastback. Also, one little tip, don't buy a bag to fit exactly what you have now, buy a bigger bag than you need to start off. From experience, it'll save you from buying at least one bag in your photography career. Because you will buy more bags in the future after this one, but if this one allows you a little room to grow, the next one just won't be quite as soon.

Here's Lowepro's bag selection, they have great products: http://bagfinder.lowepro.com/lp/choose-profile

I've owned the slingshot back and now the flipside. The Orion daypack may work for you as well.

Bigblue has a good tip; I bought the flipside 400 last month and they just came out with the 500 which is what I would have gone with. Too bad my 30 window is up for return. :|
    Last edited by Photog82; 03-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.

I also have good experiences with the Lowepro Fastpack 350. It has enough space for a camera and at least 3 lenses. I used to have a 5D2 with 24-105 attached, a 70-200 F4L IS, a 100mm L macro and a 50mm f1.4 in the camera-compartment. That's about the most you can get into it. This compartment is in the lower half of the backpack. The camera-compartment opens at the side and the front(viewing from behind) and so it's quite easy to leave one strap on your shoulder and quickly get to your camera lenses on the side. Because the camera-compartment is on in the lower half of the backpack you don't have to worry about the weather.
    The top half of the backpack has plenty of space for things you would need like supplies, batteries, filters.
    The pack also has place for a good sized notebook/laptop or papers. This compartment is basically flat against your back.

From what I understood, the backback is "weathersealed". I think the zippers are dustproof, but I'm not sure if the backpack is up to massive amounts of rain. My camera at least never got wet, because it's safe on the bottom.

Hope this helps a bit.

Another option are some of the National Geographic bags. I picked up one of the shoulder bags for carrying a camera with me everywhere I go. Has a laptop compartment, insert camera bag, 1 full width pouch, and several smaller ones. It has been faithfully carrying my lunch, a camera or two, lenses (70-200 f2.8 fits easily), notebooks, pens and pencils, etc. for a couple of years now. Before picking up my backpack I used to carry 2 bodies with lenses attached and my EF 300 in it for covering sports events.

I have a simple Canon backpack. Holds everything I need and more. When go out to shoot, 90% of the time I have an idea of the conditions I'll be shooting in, and what I'm shooting. So, I don't need to bring my entire inventory ya' know? They're very conveniently sized, and pretty sturdy. I carry a
    60D, Canon AE-1, 50mm f/1.4 USM, TS-E 17mm, 24-105 f/4, and a 70-200 f/4 IS. I also have my flash, tripod, all filters, laptop in the back straps, batteries etc... it all fits just fine.