Thread: in the fog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

in the fog

So I took a trip to the mountains to shoot some fall colors and some wildlife. I took a great series of a couple of Whitetail deer however I was in some heavy fog. Any thoughts on ways to post process these to make the most of them
    Heres an example. I have around 20 shots like this and some would be awesome with a little less fog

I did manage to get a number of other photos without fog I will share later. but the fog ones had the best interactions of course

A simple curve does the majority of the work, but if you push it just a bit further than what I did here, you really start to see the vignetting... which might be an effect you're after.

foggy copy by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Yes, adjustment of whitepoint/blackpoint could remove some fog. I dont know what software you use. I use Lightroom and for fog reduction I mainly use the Whites and Blacks sliders, and also overall Contrast and the Clarity slider. Play around with them if you use LR.

If you use Photoshop (or some other software), you could begin with adjusting levels - drag whitepoint and blackpoint inwards to the histogram.

thanks, yeah I use photoshop. I tried playing with contrast and increasing blacks and it helped a bit but colors started looking odd if I pushed it to much.

Yes, when you make large contrast increases, colors tend to get over-saturated. You could compensate for this with decreasing saturation, I made a quick attempt that I think improves the image:

1) In a levels layer, pull the black slider inwards to the histogram.
    2) In a curves layer i added a rather strong S-curve.
    3) In a vibrance layer I decreased overall saturation and then recovered some saturation with the vibrance slider.

Name:  defog.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  152.6 KB

Of course there's some fog left in the final image, but much of it is gone. Play around with different methods until you find something you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defog.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	1505  

I thought I would try my hand at it. I know I get carried away sometimes with the editing but it was fun trying! Granted, it would look better working on the RAW. I tried taking some of the shadow out of the deer on the left.

Name:  8115030952_f2a4d577fd_z_edit.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  183.8 KB

Best I could do without the RAW file. Setting a gentle S-curve did most of the work.

Mark - Flickr

I like seeing everyone's attempt at making it better. I played with it again, and got a better result but still just didnt like something about the colors, so I converted to B&W and liked the result.

It's like the fog is imparting a colour cast that the sensor isn't quite working with.

As such, I really like Nick's Mono version.

Less of a color cast here, but perhaps a bit too dark.

I like the B&W version as well.
    Mark - Flickr