Thread: Rooftop Graffiti in NYC...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rooftop Graffiti in NYC...

I think there's still a few spots left...[]

somewhat-famous shot from the Manhattan Bridge walkway...mid-afternoon shadows nearly spoil it but it's such an interesting scene that it's hard to ruin...

Below is the walkway during a rare moment without pedestrian traffic...

both 40D 17-40mm, March '09

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_3811_5F00_rooftop_5F00_grffti2.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_3668_5F00_mht_5F00_br_5F00_wlkwy.jpg[/img]

Re: Rooftop Graffiti in NYC...

Wow, looks like a bunch of knuckle-draggerswent throughthe place![:P]

John.

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    I think there's still a few spots left...[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Show me where [:P] Great shot with a nice story/character...I like it![Y]

Jan

Thanks Jan - glad you liked it - I was over there early this morning with my "brand-new-to-me" 5D and it's full of new pieces and tags. Probably can still squeeze you in if you're interested!

Only thing - the big "gallery" spots like these are highly coveted and protected by the artists. Far from "knuckledraggers" they are actually well-known and respected individuals; a few of them have had major endorsements and their work has appeared in national advertising campaigns, both in print and broadcast.

(not that I took you seriously about "finding a spot" - just passing on what I know...) [8-|]

once I convert the RAW files I'll post a few...hopefully they're better than the mid-afternoon shots I got with the 40D...

Probably can still squeeze you in if you're interested!

Sure, when will you send me the planetickets??? [] I can squeeze out of here for a week or two, no problem [A]

Only thing - the big "gallery" spots like these are highly coveted and protected by the artists

Even these tags?? It seems no art-work at all. At least I see more tags than serious art-work. I've seen better that's for sure.

a few of them have had major endorsements and their work has appeared in national advertising campaigns

Still remains public sight doesn't it? I can imagine some architects complaining they don't get credit for their work shown in the shot, but the graffiti-artists..

once I convert the RAW files I'll post a few

Looking forward to them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Even these tags?? It seems no art-work at all. At least I see more tags than serious art-work. I've seen better that's for sure.

I'm a bit surprised how much has changed in a year...I only see one that "made the cut"... prob it's like you said, no serious pieces just random tags. A year later, more of the same - even more "random" now...

One day I'll get over to a spot in Queens that I know and then you'll see some true art...

5D (yay! first outdoor shot with my "new" toy) 17-40, 33mm 1/250 @ f/11 ISO 200

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_0445_5F00_RooftpGraff_5F00_.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_0414_5F00_RooftpGraff_5F00_wa_5F00_. jpg[/img]

Nice shot. You need to head over to Five Pointz in Long Island city and take some serious rooftop graffiti shots.