Thread: Hot air ballooning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hot air ballooning

I have booked a hot air balloon trip in May and am already trying to decide which lens to bring - I only want to bring one up with me. Does anyone have any experience of this type of photography? I have an XTi/400D. My lens options are 17-40L, EFS 18-55, 75-300, 100 Macro USM, 300L. I'm pretty sure it'll be the 17-40L for IQ but will I miss the extra reach of the other lenses? Thanks in advance for advice.

Re: Hot air ballooning

Whatever you bring, make sure you have a CPL, or even a graduated ND. I went real early in the morning and the sky was very unforgiving and I had only a UV filter at the time. And you will definitely want a wide angle lens for this.

What Tim said. [H]

Hi cian3307

Congrats to your decision! I'm sure you will enjoy - but don't just take pics, don't forget to look around, too *g*.

I'd say go for wide angle, too. I've had a 24-70mm f/2.8 L (rented one) and a 16-35mm f/2.8 L II with me.

http://picasaweb.google.ch/dbaechli/HotAirBalloon#

Just UV-filters, though.. Circ-Pol might have saved me some time editing, but - it was still ok.

Thanks everyone. Wide angle it is.

I don't have experience with hot air balloons either. And while, you don't indicate which part of the country, I have to believe and agree you should be ready to filter atmospheric haze.

Thanks Don, I always keep UV's on my lenses for protection and carry CPL's. I'm in Ireland so theatmospheric conditionswill be unpredictable to say the least!