Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming trip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Upcoming trip

What would be the most useful/practical lens at Disney World for a family vacation?

1) 24-105 f/4L IS

2) 100 f/2.8L IS Macro

3) 70-200 f/2.8L IS

4) 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS (available soon and assuming IQ is very good)

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Upcoming trip

If you're only bringing 1 Lens, then it has to be the 24-105 f/4L IS to cover wide to telephoto. It's a great walk-around outdoor lens, which is exactly what you will be doing at Disney World.

Rich

24-105mm gets my vote, even though I no longer own the lens (went 16-35 this time due to limited availability of the 24-105) the keeper ratio is high and versatility per pound excellent. Have fun & do report back!

-Shea

1) 24-105 f/4L IS

Of your lens this one is the only one with the size and with enough zoom to accomplish your goals.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

24-105 for me...great lens

Hi Tom:

Here's a wish you and your family to have an absolutely safe and fabulous family vacation.

Godspeed:

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Just spent a few days at Disney last month. The 24-105 and my 5D II were the perfect combination.

Hi Tom,

Given those choices, no question - the 24-105mm f/4L IS.

I'm facing a similar but less restrictive choice soon, myself - a trip to Storyland in New Hampshire (theme park for toddlers, primarily) andand some other nearby locations. I definitely want to take more than one lens, so I'm looking at a Lowepro Primus AW for the trip (I have a Flipside 400AW which is about the same size, but holds only camera gear - the Primus is a two-compartment backpack, so I can carry other items like snacks, raincoats, etc.). I should be able to fit my gripped 7D, 17-55mm (I want wider than 24mm for my general purpose lens), 10-22mm for scenic mountain shots, and either the 70-200mm f/2.8 II or the 100-400mm, not sure which yet.

But for a one-lens trip, the 24-105mm is ideal - that's a lens I usually take on day-trips with my 2.5 year old daughter (sometimes the only one).

Have a great trip!

--John

Yeah I knew the 24-105 would be the popular choice. Is mine too. I had to add the others because I really wanted to throw in the new 70-300 f/4-5.6L since it seems I am jonesin' for it and wanted to see if anyone else would bite.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I should be able to fit my gripped 7D, 17-55mm (I want wider than 24mm for my general purpose lens)

I forgot to mention I will be using it on a 5D so it is really 24 wide. 17 on a 7D is 27 is it not?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Hi Tom,

I'm facing a similar but less restrictive choice soon, myself - a trip to Storyland in New Hampshire (theme park for toddlers, primarily) andand some other nearby locations.

--John
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hi John:

Story land is aimed for young children 3.5/4 to 10/12 yr, old's more than toddlers. Ones of the age that have had a little more interactive understanding of the theme's. It is a lot of fun for the little ones, but it can be easy to over tire them, there is just "SO" much excitement it can be a bit over whelming for the youngest ones. Another place that she may like is Santa's Village in Jefferson. From the North Conway area you would go north through Crawford Notch to Twin Mt.. At the light turn right on RT3 go a couple of miles and taker a right on RT115, follow that for 8/10mi. and then turn left at RT2, after you go through the thriving megalopolis of down town Jefferson it is just a few more miles and will be on your left. Over the years it was a pretty even split as to which was more enjoyable for the kids, Story land or Santa's Village. From the North Conway area you probable have about 40mi trip one way. You also might enjoy the return trip down Pinkham Notch to the east ( lot's of water falls), you end up going right by Story Land before joining RT 302 again.

There are many small hikes designed to take little ones on to give them an exposure to nature. If you are interested let me know and I can come up with s few to visit for you. Story Land is about 35 mi &amp; Santa's Village about 20 mi from us. Let me know if you need anything else.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>