Thread: Replacing my 5DMarkII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Replacing my 5DMarkII

Question everyone!

I've been shooting on my canon 5dmk2 for about 1 1/2 years now and I recently had an issue with it (stuck pixel on the sensor) so I took it in to BBY to have it looked at under their in-store warranty. It came back from their service center unrepairable so I was issued a gift card for what I paid for the camera.

The situation I am now in is :

1. do I replace the camera with another 5dmark2

2. wait till the mark3 is announced and put what I have towards it and pay the difference

I shoot as a hobby , so it's not like this is a source of income for me...so I could wait...I just don't know if I'll be able to go 6 months - 1 year without a camera :\

What are your thoughts?

Re: Replacing my 5DMarkII

Quote Originally Posted by hippoeater
    ...so I could wait...I just don't know if I'll be able to go 6 months - 1 year without a camera :\

I don't know the meaning of them horrible words! One day, maybe two, without a camera -- fine. But more than 2 days!? Of course you must have a camera. Personally, I would just make it another 5D2, but if you're willing to go a year (or more) without it, you might consider getting a T3i in the mean time. It's not much money, and will serve as a nice backup camera to the 5D3.

+1 to what Daniel said. If you watch this site and others and contribute, buy something and continue shooting.

The 5D2 is still a fine camera, they are still selling heaps of them. I think it would be very hard to drop from the 5D2 to something else, but the suggestion above would work well, if you wanted to end up with two cameras in your bag.

Another thought, you haven
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I currently only have 2 lenses in my camera bag -

zeiss planar *T 50mm 1.4

canon 70-200mm f2.8 is usm ii

I was just about to purchase the canon 35mm 1.4l when this happened

The t3i seems like a really nice camera...however I do not believe my girlfriend would appreciate me buying yet another camera lol...she has a hard enough time accepting me buying camera lenses

I

I know I've said this before, but cameras that are rumored but not actually available don't do a very good job at taking pictures (unless you have a perfectlyeidetic memory, and you're the only one you want to enjoy the images).

With your lenses, if you get a T3i you'll not have anything but telephoto lenses (80mm and 112-320mm). One possibility would be to get a Rebel and a good, FF-compatible lens (the 35L would give you a normal lens on a T3i, and become a wide angle once you get a 5DIII).

But honestly, in your place I'd just get a replacement 5DII.

Quote Originally Posted by hippoeater
    so I took it in to BBY to have it looked at under their in-store warranty.

Do I understand this right. You took it in to Best Buy? Or does BBY mean something else. Did they send it in to Canon? I do not have to much faith in Best Buy that I would trust them to tell me a $2500 camera is broke beyond repair.

I would send it myself to Canon to have them look at it. They will give you a quote before they do any repairs.

The answer is in your wallet. Can you afford, and bring yourself to part with, another $2499 for another 5D II?

It makes no logical sense that the 5D III would be released before the flagship 1D III is replaced. And it hasn't even been anounced yet. You could be waiting another year or more for a camera if you wait.

Do you have the $2,500 gift card from "BBY" and your old camera? How bad/many "stuck pixels" do you have? I have ~4 what I call "hot pixels" on my 7D sensor. Occasionally, they influence a photo, but not often (I can think of two photos). My understanding is that you can send your camera into Canon and they "remap" your sensor. Basically, no sensor is perfect and they always have dead/stuck/hot pixels. But Canon can turn different pixels off and program the camera to interpolate over the turned off pixel.

So, if you are sitting on a $2,500 gift card and a camera with a fixable problem.....well, I am jealous.

Of course, if you have many "stuck pixels" in a block, this may not work. But, I