Thread: I am sure it is a dumb quenstion but I could use your help....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am sure it is a dumb quenstion but I could use your help....

OK, so thanks to the advise of all of you i decided to go and get a70-200L f/4 IS for my zoom as a kit to my 40D. I have 17-85 IS and will be also getting 50mm some time soon.

Dumb question: I am very new to SLR and to photography in general, and I do not know how would I be able to tell if the lens I purchase is good...

If I only "play" with my camera at this time, very slowly learning, what would be the best way to test this lens to make sure it is not defective in any way?

Do you think I should wait until I get better with my skills...which may not happen until next century[:'(]

Or should I just go for it knowing this kind of lens is generally good and reliable?

Or is there an easy way to tell there is something wrong with it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is too dumb for this forum[:$] I have nowhere else to go...

Re: I am sure it is a dumb quenstion but I could use your help....

Put camera and lens on a tripod. Shoot a scene that would show focus errors (i.e. at least three objects, one straight ahead of the lens, one closer and to the left, one farther and to the right) that will not move (concrete, glass, wood - no fabrics that will blow) at apertures from f/22 to wide open at one-stop intervals. Take those pictures using mirror lockup and 2-second or 10-second timer. Look for focus errors as your shots approach wide-open, and other than a mild loss of sharpness/clarity in the corners (you'll have to read reviews to know how much to expect) you should be expecting crisp photos all the way to wide-open.

In other words, take shake out of the equation as best as you can. Only if you know the lens can perform should you then start to judge how well IS works (if the lens has IS). And don't have overly high expectations - I've had the 50mm f/1.8 for 1.5 years. Only last fall did I re-read the review and find out that it's not sharp until f/2.8. Now that I know that, I can produce some great results.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Hey BES, this is a bit off topic, but I'm about to get the 50D I believe and not quite sure about the lens. I think it'd be the 17-85 for now, but I'm just not sure. Could you please send me some of your shots with this lens? (I'm talking about the original files straight out of the camera - JPEGs if possible)

Thanks; and don't forget to have fun with your new toy (...the 40D []).

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Hey BES, this is a bit off topic, but I'm about to get the 50D I believe and not quite sure about the lens. I think it'd be the 17-85 for now, but I'm just not sure. Could you please send me some of your shots with this lens? (I'm talking about the original files straight out of the camera - JPEGs if possible)

Thanks; and don't forget to have fun with your new toy (...the 40D [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]).
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

hi Oren

I purchased 50mm f/1.4. I had no time to even try it on, I will do it on weekend.

Sure I can send you some shots, they are not the best but it is not the lens, it is ME, [:'(]

How do I send them to you? I have no problems with forwarding some shots. It will have to wait till evening or morning but I can certainly do it. I have them on my home computer and I am at work right now--lunch break. By the way, the shots I posted in my first post were not at all altered, they were straight from the camera, no photoshoping or else as I do not even know how to use it yet. I have Photoshop Elements but every time I tried something (honestly, I think I spent a total of 30 minutes in it) I turned original into something scandalously goofy and ugly. Again, operator error here. I had no time to read the book or anything, I work for living and time is a very limited comodity these days. I know some people do magic with photoshop, I'd like to learn this skill, but for now I need to learn my camera and how to take pictures before I learn how to fix what I messed up or enhance things. By the way, I was agonizing over which one to get at the time when 40D came out and was not sure if not to go with Nikon D80. When I got my recent lens and tried now both cameras for size and "feeling", I am glad I made decision to go with 40D, it feels better although heavier. For woman it is a big deal, I think I need to start working out. God help me when I pop a flash on top of it! Carpal tunnel for sure!

Hi BES,

I thought i should mention this since you are starting off with your new 40d and this is what i did when i first got my hands on my 40d. If you look at the image galleries on this site (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Gallery/), Bryan provides exif data (shutter speed, aperture, focal lenght and iso) besides the image. It gives a good idea of what setting work for what kinds of pictures. Again, these will NOT always work because of the unique light conditions. But i think its a good place to start experimenting.

Cheers!

Dev

Quote Originally Posted by devsalvi

Hi BES,

I thought i should mention this since you are starting off with your new 40d and this is what i did when i first got my hands on my 40d. If you look at the image galleries on this site (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Gallery/), Bryan provides exif data (shutter speed, aperture, focal lenght and iso) besides the image. It gives a good idea of what setting work for what kinds of pictures. Again, these will NOT always work because of the unique light conditions. But i think its a good place to start experimenting.

Cheers!

Dev
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Great tip, thanks! it takes me half an hour to set something up though, i do not know my cemera yet [:$] it is awful that I am sooo slow.