Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy a 7D or new glass?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buy a 7D or new glass?

I work in TV. I like to shoot my own stuff from time to time, and am strongly considering the 7D. [Poll]

I wouldn't be able to afford both at the same time. I'm thinking about the EF 24-105mm f/4.0 .

Thanks for your help guys!

Re: Buy a 7D or new glass?

You don't necessarily need the best lenses to shoot video. Therefore, you might have more fun with the lenses you have (assuming you have a couple) if you had a video-cable SLR. However, the general rule is--buy glass.

I think you should buy the glass now and save for the 7D later. An L lens may cost more in the future, but the 7D will surely be cheaper as time goes on.

What are you going to shoot? That makes a BIG differance in your choice between a lens or camera body.

But the general rule is glass beforecamera body.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    I like to shoot my own stuff from time to time

This is really the crux of the matter - what "stuff" do you like to shoot?

I voted for lenses. The XSi is a very capable camera. But, I'll qualify my vote by saying that if you want to shoot video, get the 7D (or T2i if you're happy with the Rebel body style).

I'm thinking about the EF 24-105mm f/4.0 .

Also think about the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, depending on what you're going to shoot. The wider aperture can make a big difference.

I usually just do stock videos of landscapes and nature.

My dad has a 50D and I love to get my hands on it whenever I can, and based on the reviews I've been reading, the 7D is much more similar to the quality photographically to the 50D than it is to the T2i. The only advantage I've heard of of the T2i is a better LCD screen but I could be wrong? Quote anyone?

I also looked at the 17-55 as well but as I currently do not have a long lens and want a 'one lens does it all' based on the review, that is why I chose the 24-105. I'm aware of the wider aperture on the 17-55 but since most of my work is outdoors I'd rather have the range than the speed.

Thanks for your input everyone.

I usually just do stock videos of landscapes and nature.

Well, that pretty much settles it. If you want to shoot videos with your dSLR, the XSi won't do you much good. From an IQ/noise standpoint, the T2i and 7D are pretty similar (the 7D has a very slight edge). The 50D and T1i are on-par in terms of IQ/noise. It's the other features that distinguish the 7D and T2i - build quality, still frame rate and buffer, autofocus system, etc.

The only advantage I've heard of of the T2i is a better LCD screen

Not exactly. The T2i's LCD display has the 'proper' 3:2 aspect ratio, but it's not 'better' - it doesn't have the 7D's gapless structure (so the T2i's LCD will be more affected by glare and perform worse in bright light).

Plus, I'll sell you my 24-105 for a good price! What's a good price for the 24-105?

'one lens does it all' based on the review,

Well, that's on a full-frame. For 1.6 shooters you will be wanting on the wider end with a 24-105mm. And the 24-105mm is not exactally a "do it all lens", you need a mega-zoom for that. The best one out there is theCanon EF28-300mm. But it has it's disadvantages.

But since you want videos then you need a video capable camera, so I'd go camera body in your situation.

John.

neuro, Thanks for your input. You seem like you know your stuff inside and out.

Fast Glass, I plan on getting a longer lens for particulars later on, but I currently don't use that length much so I'm perfectly happy having 100mm as my current long shot.