Thread: Canon 5D vs 5D ll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 5D vs 5D ll

Ok. Bear with me on this post....

I used to have the original 5D. I loved it!! Great camera, took phenomenal pics, FF, and I loved it. Then the Mark ll was announced, jumped ship, sold the mark 1, bought the 2, and I love it!!

But.....

I now have the Mark ll, and my Mark IV, and they are the best combination(besides the 1DS Marklll) for shooting everything. Unfortunately, I only use the 5Dll for photo shoots, and an occasional walk around, whereas the Mark IV goes everywhere, and gets used ALL THE TIME, and for everything!! The image quality of both is astounding, but I would have to give the 4 the hands down winner overall.

So, my question is...knowing I need 2 cameras(and my wife agrees[]), and times being what they are[], i have contemplated selling the Mark ll.

And buying a used original 5D!!!

Am I CRAZY??? HELP....

Re: Canon 5D vs 5D ll

Well, you've used the 5D and the 5DII. You know your needs. Probably no one is in a better position to know if this is a good move than you are.

Yet- how much $$ would you get? It seems hard for me to believe it would be worth it, unless you really need the money.

Quote Originally Posted by greggf
    Am I CRAZY???

Perhaps you should consult a professional on this one []

I'd be thinking of replacing the 5D2 with a used 1Ds<vintage to be decided by you>. You'll get a more common feel, but keep the wideness of FF.

(By the way, you're making me dizzy with Mark II and Mark IV. Can you try 5D, 5D2, and/or 1D4 instead? I keep thinking you have a 1D Mark II or a 1Ds Mark II or...)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

I'd be thinking of replacing the 5D2 with a used 1Ds<vintage to be decided by you>. You'll get a more common feel, but keep the wideness of FF.

I like this advice. I actually just ordered a used 1Ds2 from Adorama to be a companion to my 5D2. I almost bought the 5DI just to have a 2nd FF but then I considered the AF and the shutter lag and the 1Ds2 seemed to be the best choice. I expect the 1Ds2 to be superior to the 5D2 in every aspect except high ISO performance and slightly less in IQ.

If I got a second camera, I'd consider strongly one that shared a common battery type. If you use several batteries, this might be worth a couple of hundred dollars. How about a 1DS MK III or 1D MK III for a backup. Price wise, the 1D MK III is about the same value as the 5D2.

<span>I now have the Mark ll, and my Mark IV, and they are the best combination(besides the 1DS Marklll) for shooting everything.

<span>

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]<span>I think you answered your own question

<span><span><span>I<span>wouldn't sell your 5D2 and replace it with a used 5D, you would be taking a step backwards and I can hardly think that the money difference and risk would be worth it.

If you sell the 5D2, and upgrade your backup to a used Pro Body, such as the 1Ds MKII or 1D MKIII, it will probably cost you more money.

You should stay with what you have!

Rich

Am I CRAZY??? HELP....

No, No. No. I don't think you are crazy!, ok, it depends on the person, to me money is money, and I think the difference of prices is worth about $800-$1200, the most important thing is that you know and like the 5DI, and you are sure it will get the job done for you, so why not save the money for something else?

and you are not crazy either if you jump into the ship of 5DIII later[]

just my 2 cents

the Mark IV goes everywhere, and gets used ALL THE TIME, and for everything!!

Are you usingit for fast action? If you are then it would be a fantastic camera. But if you are using it for static subjects then why would you prefer it over a 5D II?

and times being what they are[img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img], i have contemplated selling the Mark ll.

You probably would get around $2000 off your 5D II and would need about $1000-$1200 for a 5D so you would gain about $800-$1000. Which in my opinion, unless you really need the cash would not be worth the downgrade.

John.