Thread: Too good to be true?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Too good to be true?

Hi, some seller is offering an EF 35mm f/1.4L lens plus a 580EX flash for about $800 used, the offer is made through an ebay-like site (mercadolibre, the ebay equivalent here in Colombia). The seller seems to have a good reputation. There aren

Re: Too good to be true?

dont do it without actual proof! follow your gut. is that usd by the way? i paid 1300 usd for mine new,so i think its scam or broken! if not i truly am sorry for the loss, or not? ask for a now photo tell them to take it now and send to you. you can see the exif data or right click the photo for the info!

Hi, thanks for replying! The $800 is an approximation when converting from Colombian pesos to US dollars. I think too it can be a scam, since it

Its 1/2 what new would cost.

Would be a good deal if legit. There was a 300mm f2.8L that appeared on Craiglist here in town and it was supposed to be local not long ago. Half price of course, which I was sure was a rip off or stolen lens. So I emailed them to see what they had to say. Sure enough they come back with some kind of story where I had to deposit the money with some third party company, the lens was somewhere else...blah blah blah..

Any way....be careful

Unfortunately, the holiday season is highly correlated with the scamming season. Be careful. A guy has been posting a Nikon D3x on my local craigslist for $1,900 recently. Says there are 1,300 actuations and that he bought the camera a month ago when he came into a giant inheritance and bought the camera on a whim. There
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151
    A guy has been posting a Nikon D3x on my local craigslist for $1,900 recently.

I saw the exact same ad in my local CG some time ago, same story.

Be carefull!

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Lindado
    I think too it can be a scam, since it's such a low price for the items offered.

It could be, or it could be legit. I certainly would not proceed as an internet/shipping buy. If you can arrange to meet in person in a neutral, safe and public location, it might be worth checking it out. I bought an MP-E 65mm in perfect condition for ~45% less than new,and it was completely legit (he even apologized for not having the manual and gave me a printed pdf in a little binder!).The same seller was also selling a 200mm f/2.8L II at the same discount. The other thing to consider is the age - the 580 EX (original) could be as old as 2004, and the 35L could be as old as 1998 (the date code on the lens will tell you the age). An older lens may work just fine, but they usually go for a lower price.