Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Inexpensive Accessory?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's Your Favorite Inexpensive Accessory?

There is always lots of talk of the expensive gear we either own or lust for but not much attention is given to those little hidden gems we discover along the way.

So, I thought I would start a thread covering just that. What is your most treasured hidden gem that you just wouldn't want to do without? Whether it is a store bought item or a DIY gadget you put together?

The reason that I thought of this and bringing it to light was today I received the Neewer Pro Pop-up Flash Diffuser from Amazon for $7.50 (free Prime Shipping) and I think it is really going to work out very well for me. I have tried many different on-flash diffusers and reflectors for speedlights and they either didn't stay on well or they were so heavy that when the flash was pointed slightly upward, the head just fell back down from the weight.

This one stays on very well and I like the diffusion of light that it gives.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Diff...flash+diffuser

Anyone else have recommendations they would like to share?

May seem very simple, but the OP/TECH Utility Loop has changed how I carry my camera. I now use a black rapid strap and connected it to my camera using the utility loops from OP/Tech. Actually, just scrolling through OP/TECH's website, lots of inexpensive gear that is great. After that, it really gets to what you consider "inexpensive." But a wireless release are pretty nice. I used the RC-5 with my 7D. But it only works intermittently with my 5DIII. I received the Vello Shutterboss for Christmas. At about $50 it does a good amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    May seem very simple, but the OP/TECH Utility Loop has changed how I carry my camera. I now use a black rapid strap and connected it to my camera using the utility loops from OP/Tech. Actually, just scrolling through OP/TECH's website, lots of inexpensive gear that is great. After that, it really gets to what you consider "inexpensive." But a wireless release are pretty nice. I used the RC-5 with my 7D. But it only works intermittently with my 5DIII. I received the Vello Shutterboss for Christmas. At about $50 it does a good amount.
    I guess by inexpensive I'm thinking less than $100 and more of the "out of the ordinary" items or off-brands that people may have found that work great that others may not be aware of.

What you posted above is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see posted here. I never heard of the Vello Shutterboss before!

LOL, I don't know if this is a hack or low cost accessory... particularly given the discount on the rain sleeve today..... I have to point out my rain sleeve. 2 gallon zip lock bag. Cut a corner just small than the lens hood, turn inside out, pull on to the lens hood camera side first, turn it right side out and it covers everhthing but my 150-600 at 600 which if it is raining, has very limited utility anyway. I carry 3 with me at all times, they take almost -0- space.

I might use them and the hand warmer next time I am doing a starscape in an adverse humidity/temp profile environment to keep the lens element from fogging.

All the best to everyone.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

No contest ..... for me it's The Better Beamer flash extender.....simple, cheap (less than $40) and amazingly effective.

Good question....going to have to think on this one. I use several inexpensive things that I depend on...

My favourite accessory was discovering that the narrow black straps sold with certain lenses as a ridiculously narrow neck strap, that no one ever uses because they are painfully narrow, will fit through the loops for the camera neckstrap. Cutting those straps in half and using the plastic bits that come with them allows for making two very useful wrist straps for your camera bodies!

Although the seven that we own puts the grand total >$100, I love the Really Right Stuff B2-FABN clamp (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-F...h-strap-bosses) for use with Black Rapid straps. We already had Arca-Swiss plates on nearly everything, and once I discovered the world of Black Rapid, I needed a way to keep a standard. B2-FABN to the rescue! I actually loc-tited the BR "Fasten'R" to the RRS B2-FABN, so I can ignore it and treat it as one unit. It's a little tricky switching from a non-collared lens to a collared lens and vice versa, but plates just stay where they belong, BR straps stay where they belong, and tripods/monopods/etc. all keep their standard clamps on top.

For a little while, before I was ready to cut the (neck strap) cord, I had a neck strap on a B2-FABN so I could at least quickly attach a neck strap. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this meant the camera hung at an unnatural angle, so they pretty much never got used.

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    Although the seven that we own puts the grand total >$100, I love the Really Right Stuff B2-FABN clamp (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-F...h-strap-bosses) for use with Black Rapid straps. We already had Arca-Swiss plates on nearly everything, and once I discovered the world of Black Rapid, I needed a way to keep a standard. B2-FABN to the rescue! I actually loc-tited the BR "Fasten'R" to the RRS B2-FABN, so I can ignore it and treat it as one unit. It's a little tricky switching from a non-collared lens to a collared lens and vice versa, but plates just stay where they belong, BR straps stay where they belong, and tripods/monopods/etc. all keep their standard clamps on top.

For a little while, before I was ready to cut the (neck strap) cord, I had a neck strap on a B2-FABN so I could at least quickly attach a neck strap. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this meant the camera hung at an unnatural angle, so they pretty much never got used.
    This has worked well for me:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=8861 :-)

I use the Kirk QRC-1 with the black rapid strap and RRS camera plate.

Dave