Thread: Color Temperature.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Color Temperature.....

is there a difference on image quality if color temerature is set on camera or just adjusted during port process???

Re: Color Temperature.....

If you shoot raw, there is no difference. For JPEG it can be a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

If you shoot raw, there is no difference. For JPEG it can be a huge difference.

Bingo. For many people who shoot RAW, this is one if not the major advantage - with RAW you can adjust the white balance in post-processing with no IQ penalty. If you shoot JPG, you degrade the IQ by changing the color temperature in post.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Bingo. For many people who shoot RAW, this is one if not the major advantage - with RAW you can adjust the white balance in post-processing with no IQ penalty. If you shoot JPG, you degrade the IQ by changing the color temperature in post.

Is it a sliding scale, good---->bad, going Raw--->sRaw1---->sRaw2----->large jpeg?

ok so i

Quote Originally Posted by DLS
    Is it a sliding scale, good---->bad, going Raw--->sRaw1---->sRaw2----->large jpeg?

No, there's an abrupt decrement between sRAW2 and large/fine JPG. The sRAW formats are smaller files (both in resolution and in megabytes) but preserve the editing advantages of RAW (penalty-free WB changes being one of them). You can read more about sRAW here.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    You can read more about sRAW here

Thanks for the link Neuro.

Have a good day.

Damian

I have no technical expertise on the matter, but I'm thinking changing color temperature before or after would result in almost no difference (Relative to more dramatic changes you might see with sharpening, etc).

If I'm doing a setup for a shot where time isn't of essence, I shoot with custom Temp on camera. It allows me to visualize what my final shot would look like better after post processing. But that's not always the case, so I shoot Auto pretty much 95% of the time.

When it comes to color balancing in post processing though, unless I was shooting with a bright color gel on my flash, I've never had trouble adjusting to the color I wanted. So just for the sake of saving yourself some time during the shoot, I would just go Auto!

EDIT - I shoot raw 100% of the time, so I don't know anything about shooting in JPEG. But I guess Daniel answered that one []

Others have provided excellent technical commentary. I
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.