Thread: 7D - Strange behavior - not responding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7D - Strange behavior - not responding

Hi, I've spent roughly two years with my 500D/T1i. Over the last six months or so a desire for something better has grown stronger and a couple of weeks ago a local rebate made me take the leap. I've spent most of the last week exploring my new 7D and it seems to offer most of what I was missing on the 500D - I'm beginning to like it a lot.

But...I ran in to a strange thing yesterday: When I turned on the switch it seemed to power up OK but then it did not respond to any buttons at all. I switched it off but the top LCD still displayed the settings. The only thing I could think of was to take out the battery and after that it seems OK again. I've had this strange behavior only this one time.

So, my question to 7D-users: Have you seen anything like this? Is it a known problem?

(The camera shipped with the most recent firmware.)

Re: 7D - Strange behavior - not responding

That has happened to me with various Canon cameras, but less and less with the newer models, maybe just once every 6 months now with my 5D2. I haven

i

Had the 7d for almost two years, never happened to me.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cls
    So, my question to 7D-users: Have you seen anything like this?

No, I have never had this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cls
    a local rebate made me take the leap

is this a signal that Canon will announce some new camera bodies soon?(like 7DII, 5D3..... I'm not interested in 1Ds though)). Canon hasn't announced anything exciting since the version II big lenses were announced about one year ago(if I remember right). it's so boring, isn't it?[:|]

Thanks for your response. In addition to placing the question here I did some googling and it turns out I’m far from the only one who had a frozen 7D. It also seems as if most people just lived with this bonus feature. For now I will let it pass, if (when?) it happens again I will consider contacting a Canon service center.

In Sweden we've seen the prices for 5D2/7D fall significantly during 2011. I don't know the reason but my own guess is that it could be a combination of reasons, e.g. the facts that these products have been around for a while (the market is getting saturated) and that global economy problems have an overall damping effect on consumption. Maybe they simply have to lower the price tags in order to keep sales up.

Of course there is also the possibility that a new body in this segment is coming up - it's about time for a 5D3 or some other single digit body - but to me it seems reasonable that the prices are falling even without anything new coming soon.

Prices falling, but still higher than when I bought my 7d. There was a significant rise in cost after that tsunami hit Japan.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Thanks for your response. In addition to placing the question here I did some googling and it turns out I’m far from the only one who had a frozen 7D. It also seems as if most people just lived with this bonus feature. For now I will let it pass, if (when?) it happens again I will consider contacting a Canon service center.

In Sweden we've seen the prices for 5D2/7D fall significantly during 2011. I don't know the reason but my own guess is that it could be a combination of reasons, e.g. the facts that these products have been around for a while (the market is getting saturated) and that global economy problems have an overall damping effect on consumption. Maybe they simply have to lower the price tags in order to keep sales up.

Of course there is also the possibility that a new body in this segment is coming up - it's about time for a 5D3 or some other single digit body - but to me it seems reasonable that the prices are falling even without anything new coming soon.