Thread: New Sigma 24-105 f/4 is $899

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Sigma 24-105 f/4 is $899

And it begins shipping November 4. I would be very interested to see what a hands-on review of this lens would say. that focal range is just so much more usable than the narrower 24 to 70 range, and of course it is optically stabilized. If this lens is dramatically better than the old Canon version, I believe there is a new lens in my future.

It makes me wonder if Canon will consider updating its 24-105. Yes, some will point out that it is an inexpensive kit lens and so there's no money to be made in updating it, but it sure seems that Canon has no trouble updating its cheap kit lenses. It seems like they have updated the 3 EFS kit lenses half a dozen times lately.
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 10-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Well, some people believe that the EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Macro is poised to replace the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM in future camera kits. I'm not certain that I concur, but it is feasible.

It will be interesting to see how the Sigma performs.

This was posted earlier, but Canon is advertising that the 24-70 f/4 IS will be available in a kit with the 5DIII starting in November. I haven't seen that this means that the 24-105 will no longer be offered in a kit, but I assume that is just a matter of time.

Sigma is on a bit of a roll with their lenses, but, at least on the surface, this lens doesn't make much sense to me. The Canon 24-105 f/4 is already very good. It could improve a little bit at f/4 and from 70-105. But not much. The 3 stop IS could be improved upon (and honestly, sometimes I think it is more like 2-2.5 stop IS). But I suspect three other things could be going on:

1) This lens is more aimed at non-Canon mounts. From what I've read, the Nikon offering in this range (24-120) isn't that great.
    2) Sigma is betting that Canon will stop using the 24-105 as a kit lens which will eventually force it's market price back up to ~$1,100, creating the price differential between the Sigma offering and Canon's.
    3) Sigma is betting that Canon will eventually discontinue the 24-105 without replacing it. The bet would be that Canon will stick to the 24-70 and 70-200 ranges.

My guess is that this is a combination of 1 & 2. I actually doubt #3. But, at this point in time, Sigma's entry against Canon doesn't make much sense to me given that the market is flooded with Canon's and the second hand market price is actually lower than Sigma's entry. Of course, perhaps Sigma is about to blow us out of the water with IQ.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    This was posted earlier, but Canon is advertising that the 24-70 f/4 IS will be available in a kit with the 5DIII starting in November. I haven't seen that this means that the 24-105 will no longer be offered in a kit, but I assume that is just a matter of time.
    Ah, let me rephrase - I'm not sure that the 24-70mm f/4 L IS will completely supplant the 24-105mm f/4 L IS in all camera kits, but I think it's plausible.

I think Kayaker's 1st and 3rd guesses are very good. Nikon and Sony users will need this lens. I also think Canon might just discontinue it if they want to force everyone into needing both a 24-70 and a 70-200 or 70-300.

Or they could upgrade it and charge a lot more money.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Is it me, or does it seem from Bryan's sample images that Sigma beats the Canon in sharpness at f/4 on the 24mm wide end, but the Canon is sharper at the long end?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    Is it me, or does it seem from Bryan's sample images that Sigma beats the Canon in sharpness at f/4 on the 24mm wide end, but the Canon is sharper at the long end?
    This is what I am seeing as well. I'm curious what the distortion at 24mm will look like. It' really my only nit with the Canon.

82 must be the new 77. I do like that my current setup allows me to share filters amongst my three most used lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    From what little I've seen for pics with the Sigma it really does seem to be pretty much on the same level as the Canon except in the area of price which is certainly a novel twist with the Canon recently seen on sale for just under $600. Awesome lens for the money at that price!!
    I would have to agree that recent prices on the 24-105 may make the best lens/dollar out there.

I bought my copy used a bit beat up and at the current price begs the question of having it refurb'd or just buy a new one and give the old one to a mid teens nephew who seems to be interested in photo.

The current Canon pricing certainly deflates the Sigma sales - now if only Sigma could come out w/ a series of "M" lenses
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911