Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1D Mark IV or new 70-200

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1D Mark IV or new 70-200

I am a visual journalist and I am trying to decided on which item to upgrade first, so I figured I would ask for some opinions. Currently I have a 5D Mk.II and a 7D for my bodies and I would say I use the 7D 90% of the time being a VJ I rarely do anything other than sports or news related shoots. I also have a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens. I am in a position where I could go either way and get the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV Digital SLR or the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens. The price would equate to being about the same as I would sell my 7D however my older 70-200 would be handed to one of my colleague.

So the question remains if you had the choice between switching a 7D for a 1D Mark IV or the two lenses which would it be for you?

Re: 1D Mark IV or new 70-200

if you are satisfied with your 7D and 70-200mm2.8, I would not suggest you to upgrade ether the 1DIV or the 70-2002.8II, I will get 135mm 2.0(for indoor sports) and 300mm 4.0IS or 400mm 5.6(for outdoor), just my 2 cents.

I
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

7d is pretty good on its own, i'd get the glass, same as elmo said.

I would think your biggest jump in IQ would be the new 70-200mm 2.8L

Interesting story, the local camera store supplies the local paper here in town with cameras. My salesman told me that the paper didn

no doubt 70-200mm II has better IQ , but 135mm 2.0 gives you 1 stop faster and 300mm or 400mm gives you more reach and they also give you better IQ at least than the old 70-200mm 2.8, and you still have the 70-200mm when you need it. with those three lenses you can do a lot other things that the 70-200mm 2.8 II hardly can handle. and they are also smaller and lighter. also, if you chose the 70-200mm 2.8 II, you pay some of the money on the new IS system which you don

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.s.Maneri

... I rarely do anything other than sports or news related shoots.

So the question remains if you had the choice between switching a 7D for a 1D Mark IV or the two lenses which would it be for you?

Hey Matt,

I have two 7D's and a 1D MkIV and I would rather own a MKIV. I feel that the MKIV is much better than the 7D. It has a larger sensor, better Auto Focus, more advanced Metering system, faster burst rate, less noise in low light, better weather sealing, more solid feel, better contrast, more customizable user settings, no spin the mode dial, and the MK IV will make all of your lenses and all of your photos better than just one new 70-200mm. The MKIV also shoots wider than the 7D.

The only negatives that I can think of is that the MK IV (1.3X crop) wont provide you with as much reach as compared to the 7D (1.6X crop) which could mean you may need a more expensive lens like a 400mm as opposed to a 300mm and <s>or</s> the use of a 1.4x extender which will cause you to lose an f-stop, and the extender slows down the AF speed, and there is also no emergency pop-up flash on the MkIV. The MKIV is also larger and heavier, and you can't take the grip off.

However, I like the photos out of the MkIV better, so nothing else really matters to me.

Rich

Thank you for your opinions everyone. Just to clarify something I probably should have said before this was posted was that I already own a Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM, Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS USM, and a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 L IS USM for my sport glass. Im still very open to any opinions if I cant decided soon I will just wait a month until I can afford both.

HDNitehawk - I think that may come down to expenses when you can get almost 3 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.s.Maneri
    I think that may come down to expenses when you can get almost 3 7D's for the cost of 1 1D Mk.IV

That is probably true, the salesman also mentioned money had been tighter for the paper because of the economy.

Your going to gain a little IQ over the 70-200 you have now. Since you have shot the 1D Mark IV I think the question can better be answered by you than any one else. Do you want the better IQ from the lens or rather have the camera.

After reading Richard Lane's post I thought this:

There was a thread I initiated a while back, comparing a croped picture from a 5D to the same size pic of a 7D. I was trying to find out if the IQ of the 7D was superior for wildlife, as some had claimed, using my 500mm lens. The end result that was decided after some testing was that the pictures out of the 7D could be improved in post to be the same or slightly better than the croped 5D's

That said, I often wondered if I shouldn't have put the 1D Mark IV in to that mix to see how it faired, IQ wise for a croped pic compared to the 7D.

Rick

Matt,

Since you have a lot of nice glass already, you should definitely get the Mk IV, especially since you already have the 300mm f/2.8 and 400mm f/2.8. I have the 70-200mm f/2.8L II and it