Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with the 50mm f/1.4?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Issues with the 50mm f/1.4?

Anyone have an issue?

Since buying the 100mm 2.8 macro and the 85mm 1.8, I have fallen in love with primes. So, I was considering an upgrade from my 50mm 1.8 II to the 50mm 1.4and wanted to make sure that I was making a good choice.

Thanks for all resonses.

Jayson

Re: Issues with the 50mm f/1.4?

I have the EF 50 1.4. Great lens. However for a bit more I hear really good things about newSigma 50 1.4. The Canon EF 50 is very sharp from f2.0 on out. If you cannot tolerate a softer look at 1.4 (wide open) I highly suggest the Sigma. At dpreview.com you can do a side by side MTF chart comparison of the two. Remember, the EF 50 1.4 has been around for a long time. The Sigma is designed with coatings specialized for digital sensors. If I was buying a 50 1.4 for the first time, I'd have to go with the Sigma.

My2Abes

I don't have that lens at home, but we own a copy here at work. I like it, but we use it on 1.3 and 1.6 crop bodies and it always seems just a little too long for what I shoot (helicopters).

As for IQ, it always seems very sharp.

Canon 1DMKII, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon 580EXII, Tv, f/5.0, ISO-200, 1/250

American Eurocopter BO-105 in the background

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I have the Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens and it is exceptional. I returned my first one for focusing issues but the second one was charmed. I use it to shoot basketball and low light dance / gymnastics. It focuses right on and does a better job with my 1d and 1dmarkIIn than with my 40d. While it was on my 1d body the camera strap broke and it plummeted 3 feet to the concrete floor with a thud striking the lens shade cracking it in two. The camera (a tank) and the lens were unharmed and a little super glue later so was the lens shade. If you get a good copy of the Sigma as I did you will enjoy it a lot. As I've written before there is nothing like shooting images at 1/40, f1.4, iso 3200.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.99/bskbll2.jpg[/img]

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Canon 1D, Sigma 50mm f1.4, 1/500, f2.0, 8.5fps, 580EXII for fill

That's a pretty cool shot.

I explored the possibility of the Sigma, but decided that I will try to stick with the Canon brand. I have read a lot of issues with the AF problems and don't really have time to mess with that. I had that experience with another 3rd party lens and don't want to mess with it again.

Quote Originally Posted by RonG

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I have the Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens and it is exceptional. I returned my first one for focusing issues but the second one was charmed. I use it to shoot basketball and low light dance / gymnastics. It focuses right on and does a better job with my 1d and 1dmarkIIn than with my 40d. While it was on my 1d body the camera strap broke and it plummeted 3 feet to the concrete floor with a thud striking the lens shade cracking it in two. The camera (a tank) and the lens were unharmed and a little super glue later so was the lens shade. If you get a good copy of the Sigma as I did you will enjoy it a lot. As I've written before there is nothing like shooting images at 1/40, f1.4, iso 3200.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.99/bskbll2.jpg[/img]

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Canon 1D, Sigma 50mm f1.4, 1/500, f2.0, 8.5fps, 580EXII for fill
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

You might want to consider gelling your flash with a 1/2 (or full) CTO gel when you do this next time. The lights in the gym are very warm, and your flash is daylight balanced (and thus cooler). If you gelled the flash, you could balance the color of the flash with the ambient and then easily adjust the white balance globally if desired.

Just an idea. :-)

Welcome home Sean. How was Chicago? Has your head cleared yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Welcome home Sean. How was Chicago? Has your head cleared yet?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Head's just fine. The beer haze only lasted for a day or so. ;-)

It was a fantastic trip, but even more expensive than I was anticipating. Food, museums, the Skydeck, cabs, etc.--certainly not cheap. Oh well, I wouldn't take back a cent I spent. The weather was great.

I did miss my camera equipment on a few occasions. Someday I might have to go back (camera and strobe equipment in hand) just to take advantage of some of the great backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

You might want to consider gelling your flash with a 1/2 (or full) CTO gel when you do this next time. The lights in the gym are very warm, and your flash is daylight balanced (and this cooler). If you gelled the flash, you could balance the color of the flash with the ambient and then easily adjust the white balance globally if desired.

Just an idea. :-)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I also do a lot of terribly light indoor sports shots with the 50 and some flashes and the gel sound like a great idea. thanks.

I also like the dreamy soft look of the 50 1.4 wide open. Here are 3 examples:

I tried the Gellin idea but color was never close because of fluctuations in the lamps so I decided I could live with it. I read Jerry Lodriguss' page on it but I'm a doof.

http://www.astropix.com/SPORTSPIX/NSC/TIPS09.HTM