Thread: Focusing question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Focusing question

Hi everyone,

just a quick question. What function does everyone use to autofocus? I'll try to clarify that question a bit - kind of tricky to explain.

I use a 40D so 9 AF points available. I have the camera set so I manuallychoose which focus point to usewith the multi-controller (mini joystick). So Iframe up the shot anduse the control stick to select which point to focus from then shoot.

Is this how others like to focus, or do you use the whole/ some of the9 AF points? Which is the better way to achieve sharp focus?

I hope that isn't too confusing - I think I've confused myself to be honest.

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: Focusing question

That's a good way to do it. Center point is most accurate, but using any of your focus points is often better than trying to focus-and-recompose, as F&R often results in focus errors.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Keep in mind that if your focusing is set to "closest subject" focus then one of the 9 points will focus on that closest subject. To be precise, I always set my center point on what "I" want to focus on, then shift for the proper composure (ie: focus lock). If your subject moves after the "lock on", focus should change to whatever focus point falls upon the original subject. But then again, I don't know about the 40d and it's custom functions. Oh, you could do a trap focus but it feels awkward to me. Trap focus is done by change your shutter to EL only, and enabling your AF button only for focus. Frame your subject with your shutter down (for exposure), then press the AF button. As soon as your subject comes into focus, your shutter will fire immediatly. Your will almost be guarenteed sharp focus. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I have the camera set so I manuallychoose which focus point to usewith the multi-controller (mini joystick). So Iframe up the shot anduse the control stick to select which point to focus from then shoot.

That's what I do. If I have the time (and ergonomic inclination), I'll use live view and manually focus at 10X.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I have the camera set so I manuallychoose which focus point to usewith the multi-controller (mini joystick). So Iframe up the shot anduse the control stick to select which point to focus from then shoot.

That's what I do.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Me too

I have also used the center point almost exclusively on my 40D. Sometimes I compose first,shift to focus, then recompose &amp; shoot.

I don't like to useshooting modes that are overly automated. Automation is really helpful when shooting action (sports), but otherwise, take the timeto be creative and get the shot right.Most of usget into shooting with a DSLRbecause we want creative control and outstanding results, right?

In dim lighting conditions, it'sgood to use manual focus for best &amp; most reliable results.That said, when focusing with a flash,I've found that theIRassist provided by a Speedlite flash to befairly reliable.