Thread: Point & Shoot Camera Bag/Case

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Point & Shoot Camera Bag/Case

Does anyone use one? I just picked up a Canon PowerShot G15 Digital Camera and am expecting to mostly just throw it in my pocket. I'm assuming that I'll occasionally want a case for it though. Suggestions?

This looks nice:

LensCoat BodyBag (Small, Black)
    Last edited by Mark Elberson; 01-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.

I have something like this for my point and shoot and this for my old P&S.

Granted, the first is to small for a G15, but the second would work. Lowepro makes several nice camera bags for P&S...

We've got the BlackRapid SnapR 20. It's a snug fit with the lug in the tripod screw. It's not attached to the shoulder strap, it's just a wrist strap.
    http://www.blackrapid.com/products/snapr-20

My dad was looking for a semi-rigid case and I found these for him.

http://www.ruggard.com/detail?sku=756000

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PSC5100-.../dp/B001GN7A8A

In reality, it's either tucked away in my Crumpler 7 Million along with the SLRs. Or, I put it in my jacket pocket. Or, I just carry it in my hand. Or, I toss it in my wife's (large) purse.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts! I think I am going to live with it for a little while and figure out what (if anything) I need.

On a side note, just like any other piece of gear I REALLY need to read the manual. There's a lot going on with this little guy. I put the PDF on my iPad and hope to burn through all 316 pages by the end of the week.

Since I just disclosed that I have not read the manual, please be gentle when I ask some rather specific questions that I am hoping someone will have experience with:

1) Shooting in Manual (M) there appears to be no option for ETTL. The onboard flash can only be set in manually?
    2) I cannot get a PocketWizard to fire a flash from the hot shoe. How can this be??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    2) I cannot get a PocketWizard to fire a flash from the hot shoe. How can this be??
    Not compatible. From the PW Wiki: "Canon's PowerShot cameras, such as the G9, G10, G11, G12 and earlier models, are not supported with our radios. Although these cameras can use many of the same flashes as modern Canon DSLRs, they use a very different implementation of Canon's ETTL II protocol."

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Not compatible. From the PW Wiki: "Canon's PowerShot cameras, such as the G9, G10, G11, G12 and earlier models, are not supported with our radios. Although these cameras can use many of the same flashes as modern Canon DSLRs, they use a very different implementation of Canon's ETTL II protocol."
    Thanks John! That's interesting. I swore that I had read about the Strobist using a G series camera with off camera flash before.

Putting a 600EX on a G15 is pretty ridiculous. You have to hold the flash and not the camera ;-) The ST-E3 actually balances out fairly well though. I don't see that combo getting a ton of action but it's pretty cool that you could.

To follow up, I was able to sync my G15 with a PocketWizard up to 1/1000. At 1/1000 the frame was about 0.5 - 1.0 stops darker than at 1/800 or below (where each frame was consistant). Since I set the flash at 1/8 I do not think duration had anything to do with the reduction in brightness and more likely to do with the signal latency inherent with radio triggers.

This is in line with what the Strobist was finding:"The easy way is to use a Pocket Wizard, which works fine but will in practice limit you to a max of about 1/1000th of a second."