Thread: High speed video of dslr shutter.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

High speed video of dslr shutter.

When we think about a shutter, we think of the old school shutters.. a lot of people don't realise what it looks like in modern cameras.. and I think that's a big reason why people get confused when learning about rear curtain sync.

Here's an excellent video that shows the full process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x_YXj0vWVM
    Last edited by Rocco; 01-25-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Fixed video link
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

That does highlight why you won't want to use rear-curtain flash when you're at max sync speed. Then it becomes mid-curtain flash!

I'm baffled why they still choose a mechanical shutter. Didn't one of the 1-series bodies have electronic shuttering? I'm amazed that hasn't propagated down the line. Electronic shutters can trigger sensors on the order of tens of microseconds - that's 1/10,000 shutter speed... Is it a problem switching the charge wells for such large pixels?

The original 1D had an electronic curtain, I think. But that was with a CCD sensor. CMOS take a long time (relatively, of course) to flush, meaning a mechanical second curtain is essentially a requirement. Current cameras do use an electronic first curtain, as a silent shooting mode, or with Live View.