Thread: My best macro image so far

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My best macro image so far

Captured using the 5D2 and 100mm IS Macro lens with tripod. Camera ISO 1600 at f/29, AV 1.6.

I could not get a completely sharp image without using this small of an aperture and a semi quick shutter. This little guy would shake (not seen by just looking at it) where the images would be blurry on parts of his body. Also used my flash hand held on the back side aiming down kind of like a hair light. Held it at 1/64th power and flashed in manually. No crop full frame as it was captured in camera.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/ Macro caterpillar by freelanceshots, on Flickr:550:0]

Re: My best macro image so far

Granted, I
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I have big sheets of black and white foam core board that I use for my product photography where I just put one down on the table and since this caterpillar was so small I shot down on it and it did not catch anything other the the foam core board. My table is near a window where I use mostly natural lighting but today I thought about adding my flash to light the back side just a bit. I can attribute the low noise to the 5D2 and the fact that my exposure was not long. With the higher ISO the cameras seem to start to loose some of the detail but I think the 5D2 starts hitting that limit after 1600. The large file that I have is super cool. The caterpillar looks translucent with its green color and the white patterns just add to the coolness. We live in an amazing world if we just take the time to enjoy it. Found this little guy while out doing yard work. Insect are simply amazing where they look so alien like. I just don't like it when they bite me as I have a hard time dealing with even mosquito and chigger bites.

The biggest version that can be seen on the web is here at Flickr: www.flickr.com/.../lightbox I don't have a huge collection of nature type macro shots so I've been itching to come across something else to photograph.

Very well done. Thanks for the descriptive setup.

Well to add a little more info that really helped the background to go more black was that I used one of those medium sized plastic clamps that you squeeze where I used it to hold the small twig. At first I had that sitting directly on the foam core board. When I took the first shots the background was really close to the subject where you could see some of the artifacts and texture on the board. Also being as close the background came out more gray then black. Quick solution was to pull out something tall and skinny that I could use to lift the clamp up off the table. It so happened that I rummaged and found a tall jar with its lid in my kitchen that appeared that it would be a good podium to rest the clamp. This allowed me to get about 10 more inches of separation which made the background turn a creamy smooth black.

Another interesting little fact about this subject was how I came upon him. I was out trimming the shrubs to shape them up where this little guy was cruising around in the mix. I'm stunned that this caterpillar did not get cut to pieces as I had no idea he was there. At the end I was picking up the trimmed parts of the shrub that had fallen to the ground and putting them in the trash when I then noticed that I was about to wrap my hands around him. Kind of freaked me out as I'm not a person who enjoys touching insects. The little cut up branch that it was hanging on to had been cut into multiple pieces but just happened to miss him. When I was done with the photography I put him back where I'm sure he will start to eating my flowers I just bought.

Nice shot, I love the color and contrast. The green really pops against the black background.

Rich