Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% crop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

100% crop

OK, I am confused or just dumb sometimes. I see comments that a photo is 50% or 100% crop. In my thinking if I crop 100% there is nothing left. Or is it backwards? Does 100% crop mean original image, nothing cropped away? What is the definition of XX% crop?

Mark
    Mark

Re: 100% crop

Cropped and not resized.

100% crop means what you are seeing is the actual pixels that are on your screen represent the actual pixels in the jpeg. Depending on the camera this could be a large or very small part of the picture as a whole.

I could be wrong, but my understanding has always been that 100% is any size crop of an original image where the pixel ratio is 1:1 - in other words every pixel (within the cropped area) taken is displayed on the screen. Typically images displayed on a screen (like many of the ones on this forum) have been resized so the who image can be seen without panning/scrolling. When an image has been resized you are only seeing a fraction of the actually pixels that where captured by the image sensor. Hope that helps clarify.

I am glad you asked this question....i am still confused.

keller

when people post pictures they're generally resizes from the original 4000x3000 pixels, etc, etc.. to something like 800x600.

People will crop a part of the image and not resize it for web, so it's 100% it's original pixel size... basically they'll do this to examine things like noise, sharpness, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    OK, I am confused or just dumb sometimes. I see comments that a photo is 50% or 100% crop. In my thinking if I crop 100% there is nothing left. Or is it backwards? Does 100% crop mean original image, nothing cropped away? What is the definition of XX% crop?
    You're thinking too logically. The "100% crop" terminology comes from Photoshop, so of course it's not supposed to make sense. []

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

You're thinking too logically. The "100% crop" terminology comes from Photoshop, so of course it's not supposed to make sense. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

haha, so true!

My understanding of it is that its a cut out piece of the image without it being resized confusing.

So say you have an image of a coin in the middle of a table, with the table in shot. You crop the coin out at 100% by simply "discarding" the rest of the image but then leaving the cropped coin at its 100% size.
    So you don't crop it to make a 6x4" picture, you crop it at nothing actually.

Man its confusing to explain as much as it IS confusing....

<div id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_PostForm__QuoteText"]

Mark
    </div>

Mark,

Just open any image in a viewer or editor: (These are typical apps on my PC)

1) Irfanview: View/Display Options/Fit Images to Window (1:1, recommended) Down in the left tray of the program you will see 100%

2) Picasa3: After opening a single image there is a button lower right (1:1) Click it. Look at the thumbnail lower right. It says "Zoomed to 100%"

3) Microsoft Office Picture Manager: There is a pulldown on the default tool bar. Set it to 100%

4) Photoshop: View/Actual Pixels look in the lower left corner of the image box. It says 100%

I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

I think it's pretty self-explanatory.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

The "100% crop" terminology comes from Photoshop, so of course it's not supposed to make sense. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

I tend to agree with Daniel on this one. I use PS Elements. I though that % in the lower left corner was just how much I have zoomed in on the photo. After reading the above explanations and playing around with it a little I think I am getting a little better handle on it but still a little confused. My default images say 9.2% when zoomed 'fit to screen'. It only says 100% if I zoom actual pixels. So if I have reduced an image for posing. it went from 9.2% to 33% at full screen. At zoom actual pixels it is 100%. So what crop is this?
    Mark