Thread: Help with sensor & lens cleaning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help with sensor & lens cleaning

Hi all,

I am looking for a simple method to clean my 7D's sensor and/or 300mm f/4.

I have heard of many methods for this – what in your experience is effective? I am not too keen on purchasing tons of specialized equipment for this purpose unless that is the only way. All suggestions are appreciated. I am (very, very [:P]) new at this and need your help!

thanks in advance,

brendan []

Re: Help with sensor & lens cleaning

Your 7D sensor is dirty? My 5DmkII is quite incredible. I've never had to use more than rocket blower. The new low pass filters are coated and dust doesn't seem to stick to it.

My 40D on the other hand get dirty, it even had greasy spots on the sensor when I bought it. That was tough to get off. I used a sensor swaband some E2 cleaner and actually had to scrub the spot.

Bryan's recommendations

I'll second that. When I first got my 5D2 I cleaned it a few times and then I realized...I can't see any dust on it. I keep thinking to myself "oh it's been a while I need to clean my sensor." And every time I check I barely see anything. Sure, I might find a speck or two but a sensor brush and a LensPen SensorKlear does the job.

Every once in a while I'll see a gigantic piece of lint or something show up in my images, but otherwise it's a very clean sensor.

I don't use a rocket blower. It tends to blow dust into the mirror chamber. Rocket blowers are only good for front lens elements. I don't even use it for the rear element because many lenses have recessed rear elements and you can't blow across the surface, only down into the cavity. So instead, I used compressed air for my lenses. I still have yet to find a satisfactory lens cleaning method--sure I can get it clean with a microfiber cloth and Eclipse or ROR, but if I look carefully enough (i.e. with a flashlight) I can see streaking and internal dust.

Lens tissues are worthless. Hate them. It's like using a piece of newspaper to pick up spilled wine.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    sensor brush and a LensPen SensorKlear does the job.

I'll try that. Glad it's only like $30. Im more or less out of cash [:P]