Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few lens repair/callibration questions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A few lens repair/callibration questions.

<p class="MsoNormal"]Ok&hellip; three issues, only two of which I really need feedback
    on.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o></o>Firstly, I have a 24-105mm L IS f/4.0 and I&rsquo;m wondering if
    the sharpness is not what it should be. I can post an example picture, but
    simply put my Canon 10-22mm EF-S is far sharper and even my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 seems to be sharper.
    Surely an &ldquo;L&rdquo; quality lens should outperform both if not the Tamron. Has
    anyone themselves or heard about many sharpness issues with this
    lens?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Next, I&rsquo;m considering sending in my 50D and a selection of my
    lenses to be calibrated by the factory. Does this seem to have a significant
    impact in anyone&rsquo;s experience? In so doing I wondering if it would correct any possible
    sharpness issues I am having with the above mentioned lens (24-105 L)?. Can
    anyone tell me what they would commonly charge for this services? Lastly, does
    anyone know if they will perform this service in the factory for a non-canon
    lens (such as the 17-50mm Tamron)?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]So, the final issue&hellip; I am sending the 10-22mm EF-S lens into
    repair because unfortunately, to make a long story short, I effectively chucked
    it over my shoulder onto the pavement. Probably a five foot high and five foot back
    launch. <span style="font-family: Wingdings;"]L Landed on the front edge,
    but had both the front and back caps on. The front glass was not damaged, but
    overall&hellip; not good. The inner plastic ring around the front glass broke off, the
    lens will not zoom or focus, and the inner lens assembly jiggles a little.
    Which means this lens is going in for repair no matter what. I&rsquo;m sure it won&rsquo;t
    be covered by warranty. Makes me think even more about getting insurance for my
    camera gear. Too bad I didn&rsquo;t have this lens for the last third of my trip too,
    I&rsquo;ve been really happy with this lens&hellip; very sharp, fun to use, produces some
    great shots.

Re: A few lens repair/callibration questions.

I recently had my 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 lenses calibrated at the Canon Service Center and found that my pictures seem to be better focused that they were in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Firstly, I have a 24-105mm L IS f/4.0 and I&rsquo;m wondering if
    the sharpness is not what it should be. I can post an example picture,

An example would be great. It's important to differentiate between missed autofocus problems and optical problems. Optical problems ("this lens is soft") are actually very rare. But autofocus problems are very common. I suggest reading this post:

"This lens is soft" and other myths

Also, what kind of body are you using? Does it have liveview? Liveview is the best way to make sure you are getting critical focus. Does it have microadjustment?

Has
    anyone themselves or heard about many sharpness issues with this
    lens?

For me it was very sharp on the 5D1 and 20D. So sharp it hurt. Especially stopped down. And I've heard from plenty of others who almost cut themselves on the sharpness of this lens. But autofocus issues abound.

My 24-105 Was ridiculously sharp. I used it a lot for portraits and it was almost to sharp. I use to have to soften skin quite a bit.

One time I sent my 24 1.4 L mkI in for service and they calibrate after repair ing it and when it came back I noticed a substantial increase in sharpness.

Ah! I think you might have nailed it Daniel. Some pictures are
    better than others, so it is almost surely an autofocus issue. In any
    case, sending it in with the Camera for calibration or doing it myself
    will probably solve that issue then. I own a 50D by the way.

Still,
    $120 for calibration isn't horrid... after all some of us spend that
    for a filter to make our pictures just that much better when often
    times some post processing could do almost as if not just as much good
    instead.

I now check the focus carefully on lenses when I get them, and if they don't focus correctly, send them in while they're under warrranty.

I just sent my 5D in with my 135L to have the 135L calibrated for the 5D. It backfocused with my 5D and 30D, both of which worked fine with my other lenses.

my 24-105 is good enough to make the pixel density on my 5D a real limitation. 100% crops are just stupid sharp.

I now check the focus carefully on lenses when I get them, and if they don't focus correctly, send them in while they're under warrranty.

I just sent my 5D in with my 135L to have the 135L calibrated for the 5D. It backfocused with my 5D and 30D, both of which worked fine with my other lenses.

my 24-105 is good enough to make the pixel density on my 5D a real limitation. 100% crops are just stupid sharp.

$120 for calibration isn't horrid

When your workplace only gives you one night a week and you have to pay for photo equipment yourself, it is :/

Which is exactly why my 70-200 f/4L will be sans filter for awhile more.

Cory

The micro adjustments on the 50D is great so I would use that first to see how things work out. I myself bought the Lens Align Pro which is pricey but works really great and really improved my lens focusing. You don't need the lens align and there are several targets on the net to use. Give it shot and see how you like it.

Can
    anyone tell me what they would commonly charge for this services?

Asked the repair person at the NJ center that question a few days ago. She said around $120 :/