Thread: Canon EOS 60D Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon EOS 60D Review

Discuss theCanon EOS 60D Review - tell us what you think of the Canon EOS 60D.

Re: Canon EOS 60D Review

Great review. I hope they bring the tilt swivel LCD to all the rest of the DSLRs, or at least the 5D3.

Nice review, I feel I know the 60D better than my wife.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Nice review indeed. It is kind of sad to see the end of the xxD series. At least for ME its the end. I am sure many users will discover the 60D and its successors and be amazed and happy with what they have to offer. I just can
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I experimented with a 60D at Best Buy a few weeks ago. I think a lot of the criticism the camera received has been unjustified. It was solidly built even though it wasn
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    I believe too many people were expecting a 7D for a 50D price.

Agreed.

That being said, I also wonder why some 50D features are missing from the 60D.

I think the marketing department wanted to increase the gap between it and the 7D. If they had kept all the 50D features, then it would have gotten close enough to lose a few of those higher-margin 7D sales.

The most puzzling is the loss of the AF micro-adjustment. I'm guessing Canon felt that most Rebel-type users won't understand this feature, I don't see how including it could hurt, or be very costly, (since it seems to be done in software,) though I could be wrong.

It's definitely not hurtful or costly - they removed it just to have another carrot to dangle from the 7D. It's that way with a lot of features. Everybody does it. Nikon added the very best autofocus to their $1500 body, whereas Canon saves it for the $4,000+ crowd. Canon puts a full 21 MP in their $2,500 body, while Nikon saves it for the $7,000+ body. Both companies are just playing with the features and prices arbitrarily. One thinks we're dumb enough to pay thousands extra for pixels (Nikon), the other thinks we're dumb enough to pay thousands extra for build/autofocus/etc. (Canon).

They need to choose some sort of method to extract the highest margin possible; otherwise the people who can afford the D3x would just buy a D300, and all that profit (and money for R&D) would be left on the table. Without that, there would be less money for the low-end cameras, so in a way, this demarkation helps everybody. But it mostly helps the people who's beliefs are the opposite of the company. For example, if you believe pixel count is hugely valuable and worth paying 3 times more for, then you should definitely shoot Canon, because they think pixels are so worthless that they'll put the highest pixel count in one of their cheapest bodies (5D2). But if you don't really care about pixels and are more interested in top-flight autofocus, FPS, pro build, weather sealing, etc., Canon is not for you. They'll charge you an arm and a leg for 1D or 1Ds series. Nikon, however, will give you all of that for much cheaper -- you just can't have the pixel count.