Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help 50D or mark II with lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help 50D or mark II with lens

ok so i have a 1500 budget and i want to buy either a 50d without battery grip with a 70-200 f4 or a used mark II wit h70-200 f4. I am looking for their to be better quality in the noise especially without a wider aaperture that f4. as an alternative i could get a sigma 50-150 2.8 instead of the f4. I am venturing my way ino sports more but also want to do everything ALL AROUND but i NEED better noise up to 800 how will it handle on both cameras. also how is the sigma lens. Thanks I am upgrading from a XT.

Re: Help 50D or mark II with lens

and as a note i am WAY overdue for an uprade as i have skill to use a 1d camera but have not had the money and my low end tele-photo has broken so for a skilled amateur what are recommendations thanks

What you need for sports is a fast lens, that is a better way to get lower light photos than increasing the ISO. The lens I recommend is the 70-200 f2.8. Put that on a 50D body and then you have something. If you are on a budget get the good glass and get the reduced price 40D body. Both bodies have fast fps. You can get the body only 50D for about 1100 and the 40D now reduced to 700. But the 50D is a much better body. Dont buy a kit lens it wont work for your needs. Also you dont need IS image stabilization for fast moving sports.

Oh, you mean a 1D Mark II. Do put that in your subject, please.

Sports with f/4? I'd strongly recommend you "focus" your budget on glass. Ideas include 70-200/2.8, 85/1.8, 135/2, maybe something from a third-party.

What sports? Could you use flash, maybe with some new Pocket Wizards to trigger them?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I want a good body with good iso but i want a good lens as well to upgrade. I will be shooting lacrosse and football as well as anything else outside next year that is what i will want this for. I will be shooting hockey ocasionally but i also want something that could ahandle inside for event just for family so i thought the 70-200 f4 would hold up fine in most building s around iso 800 but i wanted the body to have good iso around there. My budget is strictly 1500. I dont like my XT and i wanted something that was a large upgrade as far as noise goes as well as be able to get a lens too. I wanted to get the 1D mark II used or the 50D new with the lens either. I was thinking get the f4 and later but the 50 1.8. So i was wondering opinions on the 1dmark II as well as the 50d with noise and the combo with the f4?? thanks

i rather not focus my budget on glass becasue i NEED a better body with iso but i broke mt low end tele so i wanted to get the most out of 1500 and an L lens and a used pro body seemed the way to go or a new body like the 50D.

Btw i have a set of mediocre strobes unbrellas the whole thing with alien bee cybersyncs so im set but i thought outdoors the f4 was a good choice no?

Hi There

I hope your tele is in for repair at Canon[]

What lens is it that broke?

As for bodies - if ISO is the issue here, you may want to consider the 50D. Otherwise, I would go for the 40D, and buy better glass. Many people have said this before, and I'm ready to say it again: Focus on glass. I would discourage a "just until my other tele is fixed" lens purchase. What I suggest is to buy the body, 40D, if it suits your needs, and then check out glass that will suit your needs at the present, and in the future. Consider L zooms - like the 70-200 2.8 IS. Or even less expensive primes - 135 f/2. Or even less expensive primes - 85 f/1.8.

Hope this helps...

- Alex

Can you really get a 1D2 and lens within your budget?

Get a 40D. See how that works for you, and add the lens that feels right after you've adjusted to the 40D. Its noise performance is on par with the 50D, but it'll save you money for lens purchases and it doesn't sound like more pixels is paramount to your goals.

I agree that an XT wouldn't be fun, but you can do a lot with it if you try. I found my XTi came alive with the 85/1.2, and it does well with my 50/1.8 quite often.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

i found one that i can buy now on ebay and an f4 vas well that i can there is a little leighway with the budget but i can yes. Nad i said i already have an Xt it is not good and i need basically a new everythng lol . How does the 1D and f4 combo sound to you thoug hif you could get it ? thanks