Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Strobist's" Bag?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The "Strobist's" Bag?

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]What does everyone use to carry their strobes,grids, gels, sync cables, wireless triggers, etc?<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Do you carry your umbrellas and stands in a bag as well? The same bag? Different bag?<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I am looking topick up a gear bag to safely store/transport my Speedlites and accessories. I was also thinking about just picking up a cheap duffle to store/transport a few umbrellas and light stands. Any advice?

Re: The "Strobist's" Bag?

Mark, if I can remember later I'll try to take a picture of the items I use to carry my equipment. Might need to bump this post a couple of days so it doesn't slip my mind. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Mark, if I can remember later I'll try to take a picture of the items I use to carry my equipment. Might need to bump this post a couple of days so it doesn't slip my mind. ;-)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Sean, You point at some really great products. I wonder if there is a way to get a list of links together for strobist gear and accessories here on the-digital-picture forum.

Maybe just add it to the post that Chuck asked you to write up with links to all of your favorite strobist gear ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    Maybe just add it to the post that Chuck asked you to write up with links to all of your favorite strobist gear ;-)

The strobist accessory post hadn't slipped my mind, but I wasn't able to get to it this weekend. I'm hoping that now that it's a regular work week, I'll have some time in the evenings to devote to this. I'll include themeans by whichI carry the gear.

I'm thinking that I might have to do the post in different segments spread out over a few days. I'll just re-edit the original post whenever I add more info and do a reply to bump the threadnoting the added info in that reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

The strobist accessory post hadn't slipped my mind, but I wasn't able to get to it this weekend. I'm hoping that now that it's a regular work week, I'll have some time in the evenings to devote to this. I'll include themeans by whichI carry the gear.

I'm thinking that I might have to do the post in different segments spread out over a few days. I'll just re-edit the original post whenever I add more info and do a reply to bump the threadnoting the added info in that reply.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I couldn't resist the chance tobust your chops []

It will be much appreciated by all onceyou get the time to put it together.

I have found inexpensive duffle bags work well for local transport. I would think differently if I was flying somewhere.

I have a very large duffle for umbrellas etc. but find that thing way to cumbersome. So, I carry the umbrellas in the cardboard tubes that they came in and light stands individually.

Say I was going to a shoot somewhere around Williamsburg, most likely CW (Colonial Williamsburg), I would load up the trunk and when I arrived at the destination would carry my camera/lens in the AW200 Slingshot, the strobes, batteries and stand/umbrella mounts (all assembled) in my duffle using the shoulder strap, two lightweight stands by hand and any umbrellas across the top of the duffle bag. The duffle bag has a crisscross bungy over the top and I can strap the umbrellas in there. I would of-course leave the cardboard tubes in the trunk. Hopefully, I am not the only person and would solicit help from my spouse. If I was alone then I would walk carring the gear to where I need to meet the client. If wind were an issue I'd have to rethink things because I would need to also carry stand weights. So far I have not had that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

I have found inexpensive duffle bags work well for local transport. I would think differently if I was flying somewhere.

Cool, I am definitely talking about local transport via my automobile. Looks like I'll have to check out Target and see what kind of selection they have.

Quote Originally Posted by GAButler

I carry foldable stands, grip arms, and misc. in a large bag made for Gibralter drum stands.

My brother is a drummer...aren't those bags expensive? Maybe I'm thinking of the ones he uses for his actul drums and not the stands...

I carry foldable stands, grip arms, and misc. in a large bag made for Gibralter drum stands. I have to carry my C stands and beauty dish by themselves. I keep my strobe monolights in a DIY padded duffle. I carry my cam and lenses in a DIY hard sided 'salesmans' bag. It's roughly 24x10x18 like a rectangular box, hard sided with a ballistic nylon exterior. I roll the whole lot with a foldable two wheeler.

I'll eventually get a pro bag but I like to really try out and trial a bag because I'm so picky. I don't know ifI'll ever go with a "softside bag" I may go straight to a Pelican.

I carry my gear in a Giottas padded tripod case. I think mine is 36 or 39 inches long. I can carry two tripod stands, all my umbrella swivels and univeral clamps. along with my strobes inside their cases inside the bag. I may be able to put one more stand in there as well. I use ball bungees to hold the umbrellas on the outside of the case and a smallfolding circular reflector clipped to the carry handleand so can carry the whole shootin match with the handles on the tripod case. I should probably carry the flashes seperately but have not had trouble as yet. MMMMMM Ball bungeeees

All my strobes (3-580EXII and 1-430EX) fit in my Pelican 1550 case with my 5DmkII, 4 lenses, 4 Honl grids, ST-E2 and handful of other stuff.

I use a large duffle bag to tote my stands and umbrellas around. I usually store my umbrellas and softboxes in the back of my trunk and put them in the duffle on the way into a shoot so they don't get damaged by the stands.

I think I'm going to make a DIY case out of PVC pipe for the Umbrellas and softboxes in the near future.