Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lens Recommendations Wanted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Lens Recommendations Wanted

Well, It's that time again. Its been a couple of years since I have contributed to my lens arsenal, and I am getting the itch to spend money on new glass. I was hoping to get some opinions from the forum.

I don't have a particular purpose or need for this lens, But I am looking for something that is fast with excellent IQ. Outstanding sharpness is my number one desire, speed being second and macro capabilities would be a nice addition.

98% of my shooting is outdoors, landscape, wildlife, basically anything nature.

I shoot with a 7D, I currently have a 10-22, 24-105L and a 100-400L.

I am considering:

The 100L F2.8 Macro

The 135 L F2.0

The 180 L F3.f Macro

I am leaning toward the 100L F2.8 macro, but before purchase, I wanted to get your insights and opinions.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Re: New Lens Recommendations Wanted

The first lens that came to mind when I read your second paragraph was the 135mm f/2L so good to see we're in the same ball park with focal lengths at least.

Reading on though, I don't think the 135mm f/2 will be well suited to macro work since MFD is 900mm and MM 0.19x. Sure you can add extension tubes, but I've found that you don't get the same results as you would with a dedicated macro lens.

The 100mm f/2.8 IS gives you a similar focal length as the 135mm, a much closer MFD of 300mm, 1X magnification, is still sharp and reasonably fast at f/2.8.

The 180mm f/3.5L macro is certainly sharp, but loses out with the slower focusing, lack of IS, and smaller max aperture.

I think the 100mm f/2.8L IS would be your best bet and would compliment the rest of your gear nicely considering the types of photography you enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Ben,

Thanks for the response---The 100 F2.8L is certainly the one i am favoring at this point, but I have heard so much about the IQ of the 135, That I have to at least consider it. I would also throw in the 85 L 1.2, But it is simply out of my price range right now.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Hi! Bob

the rumor said there might be a 200mm 4.0L IS Macro coming out, I know you can't count on the rumors, just more information you may want to know.

Good Info, Canon usually announces in August, Maybe I'll wait---1 Month.

Thanks for the tip

Bob
    Bob

I've got the 100 mm F2.8 macro and it's an excellent lens. You will love it in the new world it will open up for you. If I was to buy now, I would consider the 100 mm F2.8 IS L macro instead. When you are shooting close up, especially trying to line up that small critter and manually focus on it, the IS could be helpful. I've learned to really appreciate the IS on other lenses and this is something to consider for macro use.

Thanks, Ed. It's Always nice to have someone reinforce your thoughts. The IS version is the one I am considering if I didn't specify. My only hesitation is that I really like the feel of L lenses with the metal barrels. But by all accounts I have read, no one has been dissapointed with the buld quality and feel of the plastic barrel of this lens.

Bob
    Bob

<div>

Hey Bob,

Since, you pretty much have the entire Zoom Range covered from 10mm-400mm. I think you're definitely on the right track with a nice Fast, Sharp, Prime Lens, and the Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS definitely fits that bill.

It has plenty of speed for outdoor use and it's tack sharp. This Lens looks like it was made for the 7D, it's also pretty light and easy to handle. It provides 160mm on the 1.6 crop body, which is the perfect length. I agree with Ben, the 180mm is slower, doesn't have IS, and in my opinion is a bit too long for a crop body (288mm), Macro Lens and it's probably better suited for a FF body.

The 100mm Macro also has a 67mm front element, which translates to, "Some of your other filters won't fit."

The day you buy this Lens, is the day that it will become the sharpest Lens that you own so far. This lens will also double as a nice telephoto portrait lens on the 7D.

Here's a sample taken in low light, and in the shade around 6pm Handheld.

7D, EF-100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 100mm @ f/10, 1/160sec. 0ev, ISO 2000 (Not Cropped)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.44.62/Nesting-Pigeon-0948.jpg[/img]
    </div>

Rich

Very Nice, Thanks Rich
    Bob

I'm in favor of the 100mm L as well, better yet I ordered one myself last week to replace my old 100mm macro, but they are out of stock here so I'll have to wait []

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    My only hesitation is that I really like the feel of L lenses with the metal barrels. But by all accounts I have read, no one has been dissapointed with the buld quality and feel of the plastic barrel of this lens.

Well I have thought about the 135L myself as well, but since I like to go outside and shoot whenever whatever, I kinda missed the weather-sealing on that lens. In other words: for nature, wildlife, outdoorsy I rather prefer a high quality plastic lens with IS and weather-sealing over a metal-barreled lens.

Have fun with it [H]

Jan