Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Family Photos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Family Photos

Hey people,

I've got to ask about you're opinion about something. I had a little arguement with my wife about a photography subject and now I'm really wondering if I'm being a idiot or not...

This is the case, a few weeks ago we went to a family meeting and I made some shot of about everyone, I didn't have much time so in total it ended up with about 100 photos. Now I've worked them through my whole sorting and editing progress and ended up with 31 decent photos of everyone that was there, I removed of course of that 100 the blurry, incorrect and doubles.

Sounds all ok right? Now I showed my wife and asks were all those other photos went, so I explained that they were double or technical incorrect ect. And she told me that she doesn't care and that the family wants see them ALL. But perhaps the "artist" in me refused this and I said it doesn't make a sense to show people the bad photos, and so tada, the arguement..

Now am I being a stuborn hardhead because I don't want to show those people blurry/overexposed ect photos or not?

Sorry for bothering you about this but I'm kinda confused about what to do now with these shots.. [:^)]

Re: The Family Photos

I totally understand your problem, but sadly you're wrong She's a woman, live and learn.

There is many times my g/f will post pictures online and I'm wondering.. "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, I LOOK TERRIBLE!?!"

But ... if she wants them, show her the outtakes, the bad, etc.. and let her decide if you must. But totally normal for a person who's taking the pictures to take 10-20x the amount that actually make it past the post-processing

Your wife is wrong, tell her that this is a normal process that every photographer does.

If she still wants 'em... well then give up and make her happy.

I vote save them all in the future. Heck, go back to the recycle bin and see if you can restore them if you can.

Mark the 30 or so good ones with a "check 1" if you use DPP, and keep all the rest unmarked or "check 3".

A couple more used MB on your harddrive is worth a happy wife in my opinion

*I would only process the good ones if I were you though.

-Rodger

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]IfI saved every picture I every took......forget gigabytes, bring on the terabytes.

I say keep the best scratch the rest.

It might be too late now but if they absolutely need them, save all of the pictures straight off the card onto there computer, when they ask why there computer has slowed....bingo! []

But honestly I would try your best to explain that with digital you can take exponentially more pictures then with film, so you no longer have to spend precious money on each picture in getting them developed just to throw them out cause they are blurry or you accidently took two at once.

Hope that helps...

Joel

Another way of doing it is what I did for a friend's wedding a few years ago. I gave them a disk of the all the photos but this is how I did it. There were two directories on the disk. The first directory had all the "good" ones and ones I modified or edited to improve the content. The second directory was everything else, straight out of the camera. Naturally, the first directory was much smaller (and the contents much nicer) than the second directory.

I never got much feedback from my friend but I always thought they would really like the content of the first directory but would get bored going through the larger number of pictures in the second directory that had all the defects. They would have the best of both worlds, the best, and everything else that happened that day.

Quote Originally Posted by EdN

the best of both worlds, the best, and everything else that happened that day.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hah! Yes, this is what I'm gonna stick with.

This is funny, JUST THIS MORNING, I had this conversation with my wife (for the umpteenth time). She literally frowns at me every time I tell her that of the X number of shots I took, here are the X amount of "good ones". She has this need to see them all.

I agree with you, it's because you're an "artist" so you're picky. I don't see any point in showing people crappy images if there are perfectly good images that are nearly identical.

My wifealso doesn't like that she can't see the pictures very easily until I convert them to jpeg.
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by alex

My wifealso doesn't like that she can't see the pictures very easily until I convert them to jpeg.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

She can - she just need to open DPP and it's all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Quote Originally Posted by alex

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

She can - she just need to open DPP and it's all there.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Sorry, should have added: She has a Macbook, and DPP is only installed on my HP desktop downstairs. Yes, I have told her that she can just go downstairs and look at my computer, but hey, what are you gonna do.
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8