Thread: What White Balance setting do you use when shooting fireworks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What White Balance setting do you use when shooting fireworks?

With the 4th of July here in America comes fireworks!! I don't remember if I used AWB or set 5000 Kelvin as the camera white balance last year. I shoot in RAW so it doesn't matter a whole lot but I have read posts that say the raw capture is affected by the camera set white balance. I've never tested this myself nor have I seen any reason to worry about it. I know the thumbnail & preview image on the lcd is affected by it, but I can't say for sure if a raw is affected. So, if you're shooting fireworks this fourth, what do you prefer and why?

Chuck

Re: What White Balance setting do you use when shooting fireworks?

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: #333333; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: #333333; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN;"]The light source for fireworks is the fireworks.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] It color temperature will range across the spectrum.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] So, shoot in Raw and do any color adjustments after the fact to your liking. There is no right or wrong &ndash; just remember how it looked.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]

Maybe try 'white click balance' on things you remember as 'white'.

Just a thought....

I'd sign on to just playing with it...

I shot fireworks last night and what I'm seeing is 3600 Kelvin works best on average. There are some in the blue range where 2800 K looks good. I'm sort off suprised. I figured the whites would be cooler but apparently fireworks are still on the tungsten end of the scale.

Chuck