Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Alpha 850 - The $1999 Full Frame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sony Alpha 850 - The $1999 Full Frame

What do you guys think about the new sony option?

"So, what about the A850? What does it give up compared to the A900? The answer is surprisingly little. The frame rate is reduced from 5 FPS to 3FPS, the viewfinder shows 98% coverage rather than 100%, there is a very slight difference to the body's metal finish, and the $30 remote control that comes with the A900 is an optional extra with the A850.

That's about it!"

--http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/alpha-850.shtml

Re: Sony Alpha 850 - The $1999 Full Frame

i think i'll pay extra for a 5D Mark II

Wow! I hope that in the spirit of competition that Canon returns fire. I'd love a Canon full frame for ~$2k

Daniel Browing,

Have there been recent efficiencies discovered in the sensor manufacturing process? Is this camera a "loss leader". If Sony can do it can Canon and Nikon as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Wow! I hope that in the spirit of competition that Canon returns fire. I'd love a Canon full frame for ~$2k

Well thats the hope for a "Canon 7D"

I don't want another full frame camera at 3 FPS.

Well thats the hope for a "Canon 7D"

Me too! I hope this is the beginning of a major price war. When all three of the big boys were selling at *exactly* $2,700, it seemed like hope for lower prices was thin. This is a breath of fresh air!

Have there been recent efficiencies discovered in the sensor manufacturing process?

That would be my guess.

Is this camera a "loss leader"?

It's possible.

If Sony can do it can Canon and Nikon as well?

Nikon for sure. Sony and Nikon collaborate on the sensor design, then Sony fabs it. I'd like to think that Canon will match their success (or at least cut their margins to match).

I hope that in the spirit of competition that Canon returns fire.
    My thoughts exactly.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

That would have been the 7D. But Canon has decided (we'll know for sure Teusday) to go APS-C for this new 7D body. So, if they follow the trend there are two more places to go. They could in six months or so release a 3D which obviously screems for full frame and a more expensive and robust support system than the 5DMkII. I'd say 3500 USD would be about right for a 3D. Now, in the film line there was also theElan 7 followed later by an Elan 7N. So, I guess it's possible depending on the response to the new APS-C 7D to manufacture a 7Ds with a FF sensorat amore economical price point say 6-12 months down the road. with the 5D MkII selling like hot cakes even a year later I would not expect to see another intermediate XD FF body for at least 12 months. It appears that the 1D MKIV will be released in the spring and I'm sure there will be a 1Ds MKIV somewhere 6 months behind that. So, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a FF with a price point lower than the 5D MkII from Canon. With confirmation of the APS-C 7D next week my hopes for a more econmical FF with all the modern LCD screens, menus,bells and whistles will have to wait a while longer.

I guess I just have to put up with this old crappy 5D for another year. [:'(]

Now just what were they shooting with five years ago?......[:O].......[:P]

Wait.....I thought photography started with the 5D? Was I misinformed?

;-)