Thread: T1 to T2???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

T1 to T2???

I am considering selling my T1 and upgrading to a T2? Any opinions?

I have a grip for the T1 and would be selling it with the 18-55 and the 55-250. I think it would be at least a straight exchange as I would only by the T2 body.

I am interested in the significant video upgrades on top of the just the improved guts of the T2.

7D would be great just not sure I can justify jumping that far ahead.

MattG

Re: T1 to T2???

Do you have funds for the massive amount of support equipment you'll need to shoot video? I've given up on trying to shoot any video with my 7D cameras.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

It would only be for personal use. I like the fact you can hook up and external mic.

The T2i does have some nice features, video features on par with 7D and 5DII (the T1i is the outlier). Also like the user selectable ceiling for Auto ISO (neither 7D nor 5DII have that). If you'll use the external mic hookup, that alone might be worth it.

If you can stretch to the 7D, it's a significant upgrade from the T1i - much better AF (including the ability to microadjust for specific lenses), bigger/brighter VF, faster burst rate, weather-sealing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG

It would only be for personal use. I like the fact you can hook up and external mic.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Several manufacturers make great products called camcorders. They do cool things like auto-focus, electric zoom, and they fit on your shoulder or otherwise are easy to hold for video. They come highly recommended for personal use.

Sarcasm aside, it's all true. You can trigger the auto-focus circuitry while shooting video, but not continuously and you'd better expect to have worse focus before you get better focus. Trying to hold the camera steady with one hand while you zoom with the other can be next to impossible, so you're stuck on a tripod which limits your mobility.

So yes, neuro has a good point that the 7D is an incredible step up from the T2, and I highly recommend the camera for those who can benefit from its still features. However, DSLRs are, in my opinion, definitely not a replacement for camcorders and such when shooting for home use.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.