Thread: Wide Lens for Snow Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wide Lens for Snow Sports

Hey guys, wondering what lens You guys would recommend for Snow sports photography, wide angle for those multishot strobist style images. Chase Jarvis style except canon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colby_night.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	688

That kinda stuff. This guys is incredible...

So yeah, ive been looking at something like the 16-35mm f/2.8 II, possibly even the 8-15 fisheye, although thats quite different...

Im shooting on a 60D at the moment, upgrade someday, currently have a 70-200 2.8 MKI (Got the longish focal range covered with that), efs 15-85, and a 50mm 1.8. Want a lens that i could use elsewhere, as well as on the slopes. budget <$2000

Thanks!
    Will S.

I would have suggested the 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, except that I don't think it would fair very well in bad weather (then again, I'm not sure how well the 60D would fair, either). The 16-35mm f/2.8 isn't extremely wide on a crop sensor camera, but it may do the trick.

Thanks. Has anyone Used Samyan/Rokinon? They have an 8mm fisheye which has had pretty great reviews and is really cheap! same with the 35 f/1.4... Both super cheap. seriously thinking about it...
    Will S.

I have a Sigma 8-16mm that is a nice lens, takes sharp images. Don't know about weather sealing, at 8mm there is significant vignetting on a crop sensor camera and an almost fisheye type effect, so I think 8mm will be too wide for you unless you specifically want that effect.

I would say also look at the 17-40mm f/4L lens if you don't need the f/2.8 it might work for you and is less than 1/2 the cost of 16-35mm f/2.8L. If you use a filter Canon says it is weather sealed.

I have the 8mm Samyang and use it with my 7D. For the price it's a really great lens if you are ok with manual focus. And why wouldn't you since pretty much everything from 1m away to infinity is in focus if you set it at 1-2m and f/5.6-8. It's great for video also for the same reason.

I don't know about how well it fares in snow and rain but the build quality is definitely great. Feels solid and well constructed.

Also if you keep the camera level in relation to the horizon and crop a little the fisheye effect won't distort the image too much and you can get nice wide images. Here is one example: http://qwrad.wordpress.com/2011/12/1...-construction/ and also you can see a few more in my blog that are of stars and star trails.