Thread: Barrel Play - 24 - 70mm f2.8 L USM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Barrel Play - 24 - 70mm f2.8 L USM

Not sure I posted this in the correct location the other day as a Message in the Photo Gear tab. I'll try again today as a Discussion in the General tab.

Barrel Play - I purchased the Canon 28-70mm f2.8 L USM in October 2010 and use it on a Canon 7D. I have read another time somewhere in this forum about lens barrel play in a previous user's lens and that maybe the user "just got a bad copy". My lens has some play in it, at purchase, at the extended position, my rough measure is about about 0.005" - 0.010" sideways movement at the focus ring which translates to about 0.030" - 0.040" total side to side (0.15" - 0.20" each side of center) at the end of the filter. I can hear when it stops at each side of the play. It is tight at the 70mm position.

How much play is too much? Does anyone know what the "wobble" specs are? Will this amount of play affect my photos, i.e. vignetting, distortion on one side, etc? Would less play (tighter lens construction) improve the lens capabilities appreciably? Should I send this lens in for repair?

If this is posted incorrectly, please let me know where it should have been posted.

Re: Barrel Play - 24 - 70mm f2.8 L USM

My advice--test it out thoroughly. Take tons of pictures. If you notice an issue, address it then. Otherwise, enjoy the lens. :-)

Just for the sake of asking, your subject says 24-70, but your message says 28-70. The 28-70/2.8 was the predecessor to the 24-70/2.8, so it is a valid product. If you have a 28-70, I
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

My lens is a 24 - 70mm. Sorry for the confusion.

I also posted my question to Canon Support. Their response to me was: "Some amount of play is normal, in order to allow for smooth operation across a wide range of temperatures and the effects of thermal expansion and contraction. Since the movement you

Krstahl

I will check mine tonight to see if I notice anything. Maybe it will put your mind at ease if mine has a bit of play.

I bought mine to upgrade from the 28-135mm lens that came with my 50d kit. It had so much play and lens flop that the 24-70mm could have had alot of play and it would have seemed 10 times better.

Now I am home and checked. When extended the barrel does have some side to side play if you take your hand and try to see if it has play. Notice I say if you try and see it has play.

If you just extend it and use it normal you would never notice it at all. Mine also has a slight amount when retracted as well.

If your lens has play in the mechanism as well and is sliding out when held vertically I would worry.

Mine feels like tight and the amount of play it has I wouldn't be worried about.