Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter or no filter for 85 1.2?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Filter or no filter for 85 1.2?

So some one you know I have recently purchased the Canon 85 1.2 L, my question is should I use a filter to protect the front element or not. And if so what is the best quality filter I can purchase for this lens, or for the matter of fact my other lenses as well.

Thanks

Joel

Re: Filter or no filter for 85 1.2?

Yes, and best one to get really is a nice quality UV filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bookhammer

should I use a filter to protect the front element or not. And if so what is the best quality filter I can purchase for this lens, or for the matter of fact my other lenses as well.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

B+W 72mm MRC UV Filter

Thanks Mark I forgot Bryan had reviewed acouple.

Thanks

Joel

I agree with Mark. The B+Ws are awesome.

With a lens that expensive with a front piece of glass that big I'd get at minimum a plain glass filter just to protect it.

Sweet lens! I love mine!

I'm actually of the opposite opinion regarding UV filters. B+W filters are very very nice to be sure, but they're actually only slightly cheaper than most front elements. It cost $150 to replace the front element on a 28-300L, which is actually a more expensive lens. Now, I don't actually know what it costs to replace the front element on an 85L so I could be off-base. The other things to consider about filters is that they're pretty tough to get off lenses in some cases of damage (I know this from experience!). Also, scratches and dings to the front element rarely affect image quality. As for resale value, just go ahead and send it to Canon for element replacement if you want a better sale.

Just my opinion, though!

Quote Originally Posted by G Thomas

Sweet lens! I love mine!

I'm actually of the opposite opinion regarding UV filters. B+W filters are very very nice to be sure, but they're actually only slightly cheaper than most front elements. It cost $150 to replace the front element on a 28-300L, which is actually a more expensive lens. Now, I don't actually know what it costs to replace the front element on an 85L so I could be off-base. The other things to consider about filters is that they're pretty tough to get off lenses in some cases of damage (I know this from experience!). Also, scratches and dings to the front element rarely affect image quality. As for resale value, just go ahead and send it to Canon for element replacement if you want a better sale.

Just my opinion, though!

I'm on board with this. I believe UV filters are for beach days just to keep the elements out. I'm a hood guy. I think they offer the most protection with out image compromise. So if I had the 85 1.2 it wouldn't have a UV unless I was at the beach on windy day.

Daniel:

2255 / 6 = 375.8 - that's what you will be paying for a damaged *front element*. If you ask me, other damages can occur thanks to dust, dirt and moisture, but let's assume that the only possible damage is a broken front element, that would cost you $375.

40*4 = 160 - that's what you will be paying for 4 (assuming 4 lenses) UV filters.

Well I have ordered one to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone

Joel

P.S. Anyone have any examples of filtered versus non filtered with the same shot?