Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T4i vs. 60D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

T4i vs. 60D

Other than larger body - what are the differences? interesting set of features and price points.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

almost looks like the Rebel now has the edge over the 60D. Only thing that comes to my mind in favor of the latter is the rear control dial.

Arnt

I still think the 60D has the edge as I much prefer the top screen for setting the ISO, etc vs on the back. Other than that, the T4i looks pretty nice... I just pre-ordered one for my wife.
    --

60D has better build, better viewfinder (pentaprism vs. pentamirror, higher mag, slightly better coverage), and a one-stop faster max shutter speed.

This is a nice update for the Rebel line. It certainly erases some of the 60D advantages (9 point cross-type AF, 5 FPS speed) and exceeds the 60D with the silent video AF feature and DIGIC5 processor. The touch screen seems a little gimmicky to me and could be an improvement if it is iPhone quality or bad if it is Nokia Astound poor, so I don't know if I consider that an advantage. I haven't read anything that specifically states that the 4Ti is fully compatible with the 600EX-RT features that require a new Canon body, but I assume it is so that is another advantage.

But overall I think the 60D retains most of the advantages that makes it superior to the Rebel line, which is the camera body itself, not the electronic guts which have always been pretty close in capability. As other have mentioned, the ergonomic advantage of the rear command dial and top LCD are great. I would add:

• Size: The 60D fits my large hands better. By comparison the Rebels feel like small, cheap plastic toys.
    • 60D's pentaprism viewfinder is larger and much brighter than the Rebel's pentamirrors
    • 60D's maximum 1/8000 shutter speed (XTi max 1/4000)
    • Weather/sand protection: the 60D is hardly weatherproof but its construction is far more robust and it uses more gaskets and seals than the Rebels.

There are also a couple of other points that are advantages for the 60D that Canon's press release doesn't address such as maximum flash synch speed of 1/250 vs. 1/200 for past rebels. As we learn more we'll know if these advantages hold up.

On paper the 60D has never compared well to the top Rebels. You have to handle the two cameras to appreciate how much better the 60D really is. Having AF video, the only new Rebel feature that much interests me, is not enough to make me want to downgrade.

Is it time to start a pool as to whether yet another camera body is announced and available for purchase before the 1Dx?!??!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Is it time to start a pool as to whether yet another camera body is announced and available for purchase before the 1Dx?!??!?!?

LOL!!!

It appears to me that the t4i takes the rebel line in a direction away from the X0D line - Rebel certainly oriented to the enthusiast that wants maximum flexibility and is willing to make a compromise for the flexibility (sounds like a conflict of terms so let me explain)

AF and silent lens during video is a consumer/enthusiast item, the pros are using off camera sound,follow focus, better IQ lens, rehearsals and retakes for "production" event and software/skill in post production. Perhaps videoing "live" concerts might offer a commercial purpose for the AF. How fast can the focus move? how far out of focus or less than perfect focus does the subject get before the cameras adjusts? We will wait and see.

So pulling back from the "extremes" like 1/8000 shutter, uber high iso, shooting in rains storms, 7-14 fps,

what do you get in return?

Plastic body = very light weight, might break where others might might not but really not expecting this to be used in a production event.... S/B available at appropriate electronic stores world wide so one can buy a new one.
    Full time AF in Live view/Video
    Silent lens (other bodies can use them, but why)
    Stereo in camera sound
    (Digic 5 for the moment over 60d 7d)
    What looks like in camera HDR

So if I am an enthusiast with a odd interest in video (probably a good description) and there are lots more of me, than true pros. This body will likely sell many, many more than the 5d3, 7d, and 60d.... infinitely more than the mythical 1Dx at the moment (poke )

Really does differentiate from Nikon for the moment. Should be interesting where the Magic Lantern guys take this (though they are probably fiddling w/ the 5d3 for awhile).

I am thinking of upgrading body only from the T3i - better focus for stills, video has me intrigued, touch screen not so much. Unless there is an IQ upgrade on the 18-135 that certainly isn't in my future. The 40 IQ is the check point there - but not likely.

!!!Really!!! like ML in live view w/ all the info on the screen and don't miss AF (focus peaking makes it almost AF).

Not in a big hurry.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 06-08-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    LOL!!!
    I am thinking of upgrading body only from the T3i - better focus for stills, video has me intrigued, touch screen not so much. Unless there is an IQ upgrade on the 18-135 that certainly isn't in my future. The 40 IQ is the check point there - but not likely.

Not in a big hurry.
    Then I would wait for the next generation XXD or 7D Mark II. I own two old Rebels and I've taken tens of thousands of excellent images with them. I still keep them as backups. But in retrospect I would have been happier and gotten better and more consistent results if I had saved my money a few months longer to pay the extra $100-$200 for an XXD body.

I am very happy (for the price) with my 60D and for me the I would upgrade just for the build and top LCD of the 60D. Personally for 50 bucks I wouldn't think twice on the 60D after owning it. Also how is the response and blackout time? I'm pretty sure the 60D still has the edge there as well.

I have taken my 60D in the rain for hours multiple times with non-weather sealed manual lenses and have not had any trouble. I'm not sure if there's a big difference in weather sealing between 60D or 7D, mabye I'm am just lucky.... Either way weather sealing means a lot to me.

Just my $0.02,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

As far as I can see the big advantages to the 60D...

-- More comfortably sized for the average adult male
    -- Top LCD
    -- 1/3 ISO increments
    -- 1/8000 shutter speed capability
    -- 2 dials
    -- C mode
    -- 1/250 shutter w/ flash

That said, the T4i appears to be a great upgrade over the T3i. I think it's a bigger gain from one model to the next then the T3i was over the T2i.

Dave