Thread: Attention Canadians, anyone know where to find a refurbished 5D MK II?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Attention Canadians, anyone know where to find a refurbished 5D MK II?

I am a firm beleiver in Craigslist and Kijiji, but I'm just too worried about spending almost 3K on a camera and not having a warranty. That being said I'm a little reluctant to pick on up at future shop because the prices are still pretty steep.

I have tried to find a refurbished one online but no luck yet. If anyone has any suggestions that would be really helpful. Thanks so much!

Note: I am located in London, Ontario, Canada.

Re: Attention Canadians, anyone know where to find a refurbished 5D MK II?

Adorama? Sure you'll have to pay shipping, but there is no duty on cameras and lenses. I recently saved over $700 ordering a basic T1i kit from Adorama, vs buying at a Canadian retailer. Adorama also ups the warranty to 1 year for refurbs from the usual 90 days.

Be sure to visit via a link from here to get Bryan his referral payment.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA5DM2R.html?searchinfo=canon+5d-$2,399.95. Be sure to add currency conversion + a percent of two fee from your credit card company to perform the conversion to properly compare to a local price.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Hi...

I would double check the duty part as I got dinged for duty when I ordered a lens from BHPhoto. I still ended up saving a couple of hundred of dollars.

But as mentioned, you may be better off purchasing from the US with the CAD to US dollar! The disadvantage to this is the after sales support, more for convenience than anything when purchasing locally.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

thanks for the insight! yes I have been looking down south. the service issue is big for me, as I would be really hesitant to deal with an american online store, rather than my local henery's or something like that. any idea when they will be coming down in price? the mk iii should theoretically be out in just over a year I think

Another issue buying stuff from south of the border is the issue of brokerage charges to import your purchase. Canada Post charges a $5.00 flat rate while couriers can charge up to hundreds of dollars depending on the cost of the item. Make sure you check their shipper before purchasing.

Yeah, that has been a problem in the past. UPS standard has horrible brokerage fees, but theexpedited rate includes brokerage (link). For my T1i+3 lenses+second battery+soft lens cases + USB card reader + memory card, I paid $60 shipping.

As for the duty, I've checked somewhat, and it appears to be true. Many sites claim it and link to government pages.

Duty talk 1
    Duty talk 2
    Duty talk 3
    Government site- check table 90.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L