Thread: 1Ds III or 5D Mark II x 2 ea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1Ds III or 5D Mark II x 2 ea

Since I bought the 1D Mark IV I have one more 5D Mark II than I need for backup.

But after getting the 1D IV and seeing how well the metering system works, and the AF system works (mainly the AF system)as compared to the 5D and 7D it makes me wonder if I should trade to the 1Ds III

I am concidering selling off my 2 5D Mark II's and buying one used 1Ds III. This would leave me with a 1Ds III, a 1D IV and a 7D.

My otherthoughtis to wait until a 1Ds IV is released and trade up then, but I am strating to wonder if that will ever happen. If I thought it would happen in the next 6 months I would wait.

Any thoughts?

Re: 1Ds III or 5D Mark II x 2 ea

CanonRumors.com is saying it could be quite soon for a 1Ds to arrive, but I

Jordan

Canon Rumors was saying it would be released in January...of course that was January of 2010.... I gave up on their predictions. They will eventualy get it right, because when it is released they will be predicting it.

Video doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    ISO performance is nice, but it's isn't terrible or anything, in fact it's quite good still. The 1DMkIV's is even better
    According to DxOMark the 1Ds III bests the 1D IV's ISO performance and the 5D II puts up even better numbers

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/5773.DxOMark.jpg[/img]

Off topic: If you decide to sell one of the 5D mark II please let me know as Im hunting for one.

Ragnar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

According to [url="http://front1.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Compare/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/436|0/(appareil2)/629|0/(appareil3)/483|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon]DxOMark[/url] the 1Ds III bests the 1D IV's ISO performance and the 5D II puts up even better numbers

[/quote]

DxOMark also shows the 5DmkI as having slightly better ISO than the 1DmkIV

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/7215.untitled.JPG[/img]

However, if I had the $$s to spend I would love the mkIV and make my 5DmkI my backup.

[quote=HDNitehawk]

This would leave me with a 1Ds III, a 1D IV and a 7D.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

This would be my dream setup if I only had the $$s[]

Mark
    Mark

CanonRumors.com is saying it could be quite soon for a 1Ds to arrive, but I'm not so sure.

Don't take canon rumorsseriously. Sometimes there is a grain a truth to what they say, butthe vastis majority false.

The AF system in those 1-Series bodies is literally the ONLY thing that is preventing me from going out and buying a 5DMkII right now. I really need a FF camera but the AF is so terrible.

Mabye terrible compared to a1-Seriesbut it's still much better than a rebel series and I wouldn't callthat terrible either. I you really needFF camera then I would get a 5D II in a heartbeat.

John.

I have a 1DSMKIII and a 5DII as back up. I like the 5dII for still life and Macro, it is also very good for landscape, for all the rest the 1DS III is much better. So I guess it deepends the use you want to do with the back-up.

Hey Rick,

I would at least sell one of your 5D

Thanks everyone

Gian the 5D II is real good at macro and landscape. I would probably still use the 1D IV for everything else so I think I will just wait a little longer.

I really hate to buy 3 year old technology that is about to be upgraded.

Rich the 1Ds IV, 500mm vs 600mm is still going through my mind. No doubt I will end up with a 1Ds IV, I will trade off both the 5D