Thread: Quality wide angle zoom for Canon 7D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quality wide angle zoom for Canon 7D

I just posted this question in the previous thread but wanted to add one detail. I have a Canon 7D with a 70-200 f/2.8 II IS lens and am looking to improve my wide angle lens for a trip to the Galapagos Islands in a few weeks. I also have the kit lens that came with the camera (28-135 IS).

I've been trying to decide (like many people I gather from reading other posts) between the EF-S 17-55 IS and the 24-105 f/4 L lens.

How important is the weather sealing since I'll be outside a fair amount but don't plan on taking it out in the rain or anything like that? I plan on upgrading to a full frame camera in a few years but have not immediate plans. That led me to initially consider the 24-105 f/4 lens but am concerned about the f/4 stop and shooting wildlife in the morning.

Thanks for any advice you have. I just started with all of this photography stuff earlier this year and am really enjoying it so far.

Re: Quality wide angle zoom for Canon 7D

If you have a 70-200, I think your better comparison would be 17-55/2.8IS vs. 24-70/2.8. I
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thanks. The 24-70 f/2.8 is an amazing lens from what I

Ok, I'll answer here rather than there...

24mm on a 7D is not wide angle - it's really just touching into the normal range. If you don't have anything wider than 24mm, you will quite likely be missing out on opportunities, unless you're willing to forego wide angle shots.

So, if you want wide angle on the 7D, you're looking at the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II, or the EF 17-40mm f/4L. The last two are weather-sealed and FF-compatible. The former has IS and will deliver better image quality on your 7D. Down into the ultrawide end, your only Canon choice is the EF-S 10-22mm. If your budget permits, the 10-22mm plus the 24-105mm would be a good combination, but not fast. Overall, though, I think your best bet is the 17-55mm. You can always resell it later if you get a FF body - it will hold its value pretty well (quality lenses do). Also,I think the 5D line isn't really a replacement for the 7D if you shoot wildlife/sports, more of a supplement, which is why I still have the 17-55mm to use on my 7D, even though I now also have a 5DII.

Have a great trip!

Ps. RE:

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363
    they're replacing the 24-70 lens at some point with a new version if the rumor sites have any truth to them.

That rumor was nearly a 'sure thing' in 2009. No lens yet. Don't hold out, IMO. Get the 17-55mm. Just my 2¢. []

DSM, As an owner of the 7D and 24-105, I am extremely biased---I love the 24-105, But..........The question is-- Do you just want to get a little wider than your 70-200 offers or do you want a true Wide angle lens? If the latter is true, the 17-55 or the 10-22 may be your better bet. If your just looking for a great walk around lens, then the 24-105 would be my choice.

let us know what you decide and good luck

Bob
    Bob

Thanks. Yeah, I'm just looking for something a little wider than 70 so a 24 would work even though it's not a true wide angle lens.

I know that 24-70 replacement rumor has been around for years. I'm sure if I order it, the new one will be out that next week so maybe I'll help everyone out and get it=)

The 24-105 is an amazing lens too and probably the best all around lens but am looking for something with a f/2.8 if possible. I guess I'm leaning towards the 17-55 since it's a definite improvement over the 28-135 in terms of image quality. Thanks again.

How much of an issue is the lack of weather sealing on the 17.55 if I plan on using a UV filter? It will be used outdoors a lot.

Dave

I went ahead and ordered the EF-S 17-55 lens. Paired with the 70-200, I think the combination will work well. I

FWIW, Dave, I think you made the right choice. The 17-55mm is not weather-sealed, so do try to stay out of the rain...a little bit of drizzle for a brief period won't hurt (it hasn't hurt mine, at any rate). I have both the 17-55mm and the 24-105mm - I got the latter specifically to shoot with the 7D in the rain, but the 17-55mm saw a lot more use than the 24-105mm (saw, because I use the 24-105mm a lot now, but that's on the 5DII).

The UV filter is great for protection and easier cleaning - be sure to use a good quality one (I use B+W MRC UV filters on all my lenses). It won't help with the water - the main entry points would be the switches and zoom extension, as well as at the lens mount.

Again, have a great trip!

--John