Thread: The Palouse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Palouse

Hello everyone!

Have really enjoyed reading all the comments and photography related subjects in this forum. This has really helped my education process and I have come away with a lot of great information. Just wondering if some people could offer some help and/or advice on the Palouse in Washington State.

I’m planning on taking a landscape photo trip there in 2013, sometime in late May/early June. I know there are many photo tour groups and guides for hire, however I would like to simply go at it on my own. So far I’m planning on stating in Colfax and will at the least make several trips to Steptoe Butte.

Does anyone have any advice for a shoot in the Palouse?,..ideas, techniques, recommendations, general advice? I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks!

SPL,

I can understand picking to stay in Colfax due to the proximity to Steptoe Butte, but, honestly, I'd recommend staying some other place. I’d consider Spokane, Moscow and Walla Walla. For starters, the Palouse is actually very large, it starts about 15-20 miles south of Spokane, runs into Idaho, and down to the rim above Lewiston/Clarkston and SW all the way to Walla Walla. I personally love where the Palouse meets the different mountain ranges which includes Tensed, Potlatch, Moscow (all in Idaho), and the Walla Walla area. I don't know if you are into this, but Walla Walla is excellent wine country with ~100 wineries (last time I checked) and some great wine tours. I've done Napa and Sonoma and Walla Walla is right up there with them. Also, just so you know, just west of the "Palouse" are the "Scablands" which have their own beauty. A little ancient history, but in an ice age awhile ago, an ice dam located near Sandpoint, ID held back "Lake Missoula" (think same size or bigger than one of the great lakes). Periodically, the ice dam would give way and Lake Missoula would flood from Sandpoint, through Coeur D'Alene and Spokane out into the flat land of middle Washington state scouring the ground. The result is the"scablands."

But, back to the Palouse. As it sounds like you already know, the top photographic spots are likely Steptoe and Kamiak Buttes and then Palouse Falls (just south of Washtucna). You can drive to the top of Steptoe. There is a park on Kamiak you can drive to that I’ve seen a lot of photos from, but it is best to hike to the tip. Likewise, Palouse falls has a great viewing area you can drive to from which I’ve seen a lot of pictures taken, but if you head down river to a path that takes you the base. Bit of a hike though. I’ve been wanting to get a sunrise shot of Palouse Falls. It’s on my photography bucket list (long list).

But, the deal with the Palouse overall is all of these rolling hills usually covered with wheat, peas or lentils. So, you essentially drive around and find different shots in that corridor from Spokane to Walla Walla. Of the top of my head, I would recommend driving:

1. SR-95 in Idaho through Tensed, Potlatch and Moscow. Between Tensed and Potlatch is the "Mary Minerva McCroskey Park" which has a drive through the forest with views of the Palouse.
    2. In Washington, SR 23 from Steptoe to Sprague will give you a mixture of the Palouse and Scablands.

3. Rt 27 from Palouse to Oakesdale
    4. Either of the “Old Moscow Pullman” rds
    5. Gravel roads to the east and south of Moscow (particularly between Moscow and Genesee)

If you do make it to the Walla Walla area, there are a number of nice restaurants and hotels. In particular in the nearby town of Dayton are the Weinhard Hotel and Weinhard Cafe and Patit Creek restaurant.

As for techniques, I’ll be interested in what others chime in with. I am still learning myself. Of course, the classic lighting of early morning, late afternoons play very well with shadows of the rolling hills.

Here are a few from this past summer all taken in the Moscow-Pullman area.

Palouse-6497 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Palouse-6482 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Palouse Hills-7033 by kayaker72, on Flickr
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-29-2012 at 09:19 PM.

i'm digging those shots kayaker! SPL, google "CHIP PHILLIPS photography Palouse" and you'll see some gems he's taken in this region.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...og&sa=N&tab=wi

I've never enrolled in a workshop before, but I am seriously considering doing one next spring with him. half of the fun of landscape photography is scouting, calculating where the sun will be at sunrise or sunset, but if time is limited a lot of time could be saved by going out shooting with a local.

if you do go, please share some tips with us. and post shots like crazy. regards, erno

Almost did the canyon lands workshop w/ my daughter but it involved camping and lets just say tents aren't in her future for awhile. I am thinking of something in the canyons in late March/early April.

Quote Originally Posted by erno james View Post
    i'm digging those shots kayaker! SPL, google "CHIP PHILLIPS photography Palouse" and you'll see some gems he's taken in this region.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...og&sa=N&tab=wi

I've never enrolled in a workshop before, but I am seriously considering doing one next spring with him. half of the fun of landscape photography is scouting, calculating where the sun will be at sunrise or sunset, but if time is limited a lot of time could be saved by going out shooting with a local.

if you do go, please share some tips with us. and post shots like crazy. regards, erno
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Thanks guys! Great, generous info! Hope I get some keepers!