Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need suggestions on wedding photography gear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

need suggestions on wedding photography gear

So, I have been photographing wildlife for a number of years now, but now I am looking at starting to do some wedding photography on the side to help fund this hobby. I currently shoot with a 50d but only have one lens, which is a 100-400mm, which while great for wildlife, will not be so great for weddings.

Im going to be shooting my first wedding here rather soon and obviously need some new gear before I go. So my question is, what do I essentially need? Ive been looking at lenses and obviously the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens or Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens are the top choices. But I realize having a good flash is probably a good thing too. But I don't really have enough money just laying around to get one of these lenses and then a good flash unit on top of it. So what should I get; a flash and a cheaper lens, or no flash and a top of the line lens and then a flash unit later on once I have more money to put into gear?

any suggestions, good combinations, etc. very much appreciated.

Re: need suggestions on wedding photography gear

If it

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

thats a good point, this wedding however is just a friends and isnt a very formal one, so I figured it would be could practice without having the high pressure of a normal wedding shoot. And I do have a rebel xt that I can use as an emergency back up.

At least you have a back-up body with the Rebel XT if you would need it.

You're really going to need a good lens and a flash to do a wedding properly. If you're serious about doing weddings, I'd say go for a high quality zoom anda flash. The problem with fast primes is that often you're taking pictures of groups, and the DoF is so thin at large apertures that you'll have to stop down anyway.You'll need a flash to get the lightning you need (plus a diffuser or mini flash softbox so the lighting is more dispersed).The versatility of the zoom will be more helpful, you won't want to be changing lenses all the time, and will make taking candids easier.

Since you are shooting with crop cameras, I'd actually recommend the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. It's cheaper than the EF 24-70mm and is wider on your 50D which you'll need for group shots. The price difference would get you a 430EX II, or most of the way to a 580EX II. The 580EX II can be used as a wireless master for other flashes if you get more in the future for better lighting.

- Aaron
    - Trowski

Although I have never shot a wedding either, this does sound like the perfect scenerio to learn with it not being a formal wedding and that of a friend. Better yet would be if you weren

<div>

Wedding Gear:

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/photography_gear1/f/8/t/4413.aspx?PageIndex=1

Wedding Tips:

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/photography_tips_techniques1/f/12/p/4687/40364.aspx#40364

You can also do a search of the site for other valuable links.

One tip that I would add, is to get a list of all the family/friend group shots in advance, so that you don't miss anyone, and then put a check mark next to the names when you've completed it.

Good Luck,

Rich
    </div>

With all due respect, you need two cameras, you need two lenses that can cover 24mm, you need two flashes. I know others have said the same or similar, but I feel utterly compelled to say the same.

Read this: <a title="FWIGTEW" href="http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2010.07.25/fwigtew-and-other-first-wedding-acronymss"]http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2010...ding-acronymss
    [/URL]

Be ready to be a DIFF.

If you don't know which of the 24-xx lenses to get, get the 24-105. It's more versatile, and will cover you better until you can get a good 70-200/2.8. You're probably going to replace it with a 24-70 then, but I don't know if 24-70 alone is a smart choice.

Do consider renting gear. If it was me in your shoes, I'd rent another 50D, a 17-55/2.8 IS, and a 70-200/2.8 or an 85/1.8, along with two 430EX II flashes.

If you're SERIOUS about this, you should decide now how you want to go about this. You could do good zooms (L, no more than 3:1 zoom range such as the 24-70 and 70-200), whereby you'd need two cameras. You could do great primes (14/2.8, 35/1.4, 85/1.2, 135/2), whereby you'd need at least two cameras and I'd suggest 4. However, it's hard to grow into the primes alone, and it's hard to switch to the primes later.

Oh, and you need to become a PRO at flash exposures, gelling your flashes, etc., and I'd also plan on getting a set of wireless flash triggers.

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Peety3, I found that article very... funny. []

I cannot even begin to imagine the mentioned scenarios as real-life events. That seems scary... Yikes!

If its gonna be pretty much your first wedding, and can afford it, or if you know you can make good money off it, 24-70 2.8, and use your 100-400 when its about kissy time. Now if you cant dish out the extra cash for the 2.8, go with the 24-105 f/4, then get a 580 ex II(a must) that should hold you over rather well for dancing time, down the isle, group shots, pretty much all the basic need, depending how far you are, the 105 might cover the kissing part(i dont use flash during this time) depending how close you can get, without bothering the guests, remember this is her time, dont bug her, even thou its a friend or family, keep a good word of mouth for yourself. When its kissing time, you can get away with 1/30 if you can time it when they lock lips, they hold that for a second. But try to use that f/4 if you can. Remember it comes down to what you can afford to start with, and if you can make money off, because when your getting better wedding gear, you spending that extra money into more and better wedding gear, and so on, so that cost needs to be covered, to use it for you main hobby. Sence its a buddy, its good practice to see if you like it/enjoy it to keep going at it, and if you dont, just simply return the lens/flash or resell it for almost no lost of cost. Just look at some flash guides about flash bounce/fill to help cover quick thinkings.

I want to wish you the best of luck shooting your first wedding. It is a stressful situation even if your just shooting a friend. My first two weddings were for friends also and it was tough. You want to make sure you get all of the shots that are crucial to the ceremony. I would recommend shooting as many pictures as you can just to make sure you get all of the shots you should be getting. Make sure you have plenty of memory cards handy. You can worry about culling through them later, but just make sure you get the shots. The hardest part is going to be posing and then making sure you get the shots at the wedding. After that, it just comes down to your photographic abilities to make the shot.

I would say if you didn't have the funds to purchase the L type lenses and a good flash like the 580ex II, I personally would go to the local camera store and try out a Tamron 17-50, the non VC one. That is less than half the price of the L quality lenses but still gives pretty good image quality. Just make sure that the lens is properly calibrated with your body before you buy it. It takes a couple tries sending it to the company to get it working right. Plus takes about a month. Just make sure you have it correct when you buy the lens and your good. If you go this route, you should have enough to fund the purchase of a good flash. I shot this combo with my first two weddings and it did a very good job. I also had a 100mm or an 85mm to help with the stuff where you have to stand at the back of the church. If you have the funds to get a longer lens or even a 70-200 then do it. 2.8 is a must if your shooting with the XT as you cannot bump the ISO that far. Hopefully this helps. I know you have some very good suggestions from the posters above.

Kindest regards,

Jayson