Thread: First time photographing a play

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First time photographing a play

Okay so I was given the wonderful opportunity by Rotterdam based theatre company 'RO Theatre' to shoot one of their special yearly projects they do with young people. Each year, they give a select group of young people (some with a theatre background, others straight off the street) a chance to work with real actors and directors on one of their plays. It's a wonderful project and I felt very priviledges to have been given permission to take the photographs. I just wanted to share a small selection of em here.

I was SO nervous. Shooting in a theatre is tricky!!! The light changes all the time, and I had a white SNOW floor, and a black background so that was ehm... fun.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Jongerenproject_2D00_91.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Jongerenproject_2D00_100.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Jongerenproject_2D00_43.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Jongerenproject_2D00_55.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Jongerenproject_2D00_7.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/Jongerenproject_2D00_151.jpg[/img]

Re: First time photographing a play

Wow! Technically and artistically excellent. Good job.

Great pictures. I like #2 and #4 the most.

How 'bout telling us which equipment you used for these? It seems like the place was dark, but yet the actors in your pictures are very good lit, what did you use exactly?

I used an EOS 5D Mark II at 1600 ISO, with the 24-105 F4 lens (I had a 85 1.8 with me, just in case).

It wasn't as dark as you would expect. The ground was all snow which bounces a LOT of light all over and the actors had good lights on them. The background was black. So it was quite weird: focus on the floor and your camera thinks 'Help too much light'and background shots caused the cam to think there was a lot less light and I suck at those situations because I am not experienced enough to shoot manually so I shot AV hehe. How bad is that? Turned out nice though. Lucky me.