Thread: Canon SLR Lense on Digital SLR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon SLR Lense on Digital SLR

Hi All - Two of my children bought me a digital SLR, Canon Rebel. My question is: Can I use a lense that was for a 35 mm Canon SLR? Right now I cannot afford a good lense, hopefully in the near future, but for now I was looking at buying a Canon that has a lense on it and using that lens for awhile. Is this possible?

Thank you for any info,

Gayle

Re: Canon SLR Lense on Digital SLR

Hi Gayle,

I don't know how much you know, so I apologize if my information is insultingly simple.

Whether or not a lens fits on the camera depends on the lens mount on the lens. For instance, my mom's old lenses are "FD" mounts. They will not fit on my Canon 20D which fits both EF and EF-S mount lenses.

Your rebel should also be compatible with EF and EF-S mount lenses. The EF mounts have a red circle on the lens and camera that will match up when you mount the lens. The EF-S mounts have a white square that will do the same.

If you want a good starter lens for not much at all, you might check out theEF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS. Ultimately I think the lens you get depends on how seriously you want to get into photography.

Hope I helped some,

Rodger

If you have a recent 35 mm Canon SLR that uses EF autofocus lenses, you should have not problem using your existing lenses. Just try it!

However, if you have a really old Canon 35 mm SLR that uses manual focus FD lenses, like the old AE-1, A-1, etc, they won't work with your new Digital Rebel.

Gayle,

Save your money and invest in good lenses.

If the 35mm Canon is an "EOS" camera you can use the lens that's on it. Hopefully it's a EF 50 f1.8 or EF 50 f1.4.

If the camera is an AE-1 or earlier type, you cannot use that lens on your Rebel. Those are known as FD mount lenses.

google "canon eos lens compatability" and look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_eosfor more detail.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

A Rebel is an EOS camera. It is what is known as a crop body. That is if you have a 100mm lens, the efective focal length will be 160mm. This is because the sensor in a Rebel is not as large as that in the equivelant 35mm full frame camera. Some of the light that is focused from the lens goes around the outside edge of thesensor, giving the efect of magnaficaction. The EF-S lenses correct this by focusing the light from the lens on all of the sensor (of a crop body). The EF-S lens will not work on a full frame camera like the 5D, MKI,IIs,III. etc., . The Canon 50mm f/1.4 would be a good choice for a Rebel for general purpose use. It is also not real expensive when considering camera lenses(about$450 I belive) This lens can also be used on a full frame camera if you upgrade later.The 1.4 apature is plenty wide enough to let in light in indoor conditions. The Sigma f/1.4, 50mm is also agood choice. On a Rebel the effective focal length would be (50mmx1.6) 80mm. Good walk around focal length and general purpose focal length.

JeffersonPoster

Even if they do happen to be FD lenses, you can use them on a Digital Rebel with an FD to EF mount adapter. You'll have to continue to focus manually, but it would get you by until you could by some new glass.

Wow, didn't know they made one.

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Canon-Lens-Body-Adapter/dp/B00009R7ZR Wow!! 40-50 bucks.

Remember, manual focus only.