Thread: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens vs. Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens vs. Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens

Hi,

So which one of these genuinely has better image quality and produces better images on a Crop Sensor - 600d or equivalent

That's hard to say. They're both very sharp with good color and contrast. 17-55 has a couple of things going for it that the 16-35 doesn't.

1. IS. VERY handy to have imo.
    2. 19mm more focal range. That may not be an issue if you already have a good 50mm prime.

I guess it comes down to if you're going to stay with a crop sensor for the next year or two? I have a 7D and the 17-55mm.. been using that combo for almost exactly a year now and I'm absolutely happy with my choice. For what it's worth, when I do go for a FF (next tax season, most likely) I'll end up with the 16-35 and the 50 1.2.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Would you say that IS makes such a substantial difference?

Quote Originally Posted by JTPAIN View Post
    It certainly doesn't hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by JTPAIN View Post
    It does for me. If you happen to be a shooter that takes 90% of your shots on a tripod, then probably not. I have a lot of use for it.

Guess that's a question best answered by you and your shooting habits. I'm with John on this one. For a crop camera, the 17-55 is the better choice. It also holds it's value relatively well. If I needed quick cash I'm sure I could sell mine without much waiting for 700-800 without too much waiting. So if you ever make the jump to FF and decide to get the 16-35, you can sell the 17 to help with the purchase.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Based on testing sites like photozone.de, and based on the fact that I have both the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the 16-35mm f/2.8L II and have used them on my 7D, I'd say the 17-55mm delivers slightly better optical quality than the 16-35L on the crop sensor. Not a huge difference, but it's there. If you have both a crop and a FF camera, or if you need the weather sealing with a 7D, it would make sense to get the 16-35mm. If you're 'planning on going FF someday' get the lens that's best for the camera you have NOW - and in this case, that would be the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, IMO.

BTW, based on all of the threads you're starting, sounds like your photography game is about to go up a notch. Congrats!

Thanks for the help - looks like, for now at leasts, the 17-55 is the best option.

I certainly hope it is!! - just raising funds and working out costs!