Thread: Favorite photography books?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Favorite photography books?

Hey Folks,

Are there particular books--whether instructional books or the collections of the work of favorite photographers--that have made you a better shooter or that you continually turn to for inspiration?

Mark

Re: Favorite photography books?

Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson, the cheap alternative to a beginner's photography class

When I started out, I read Digital SLR Photography for Dummies. Yep - For Dummies[]

It helped me understand the fundamentals, however, if you have the basics down and are looking at a more in-depth book, look elsewhere.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    When I started out, I read Digital SLR Photography for Dummies. Yep - For Dummies[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

That's nothing--I have The Complete Idiot's Guide to Photography Like a Pro.[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    It helped me understand the fundamentals, however, if you have the basics down and are looking at a more in-depth book, look elsewhere.

The same for this book; it covers the basics, and the version I have (second edition) is nearly all for film.

I have to say that Scott kelby's "The digital Photography book" Volume 1 was a good book which had led me to the world of photography, but he also made me sick because of the recommandation of joe McNally's "The Moment It clicks"in his "The digital Photography book" Volume 2.

Richard Avedon: Evidence

Richard Avedon: Portraits

Richard Avedon: Women in the Mirror

Annie Leibovitz: Photographs

Anton Corbijn: Famouz Photographs

Anton Corbijn: Star Trak

Sante D'Orazio: A Private View

And for lighting tips Michael Grecco: Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait

Even though I do not shoot material like the photographers in this list: the following books are always an inspiration to me:

Helen Levitt - Helen Levitt (sadly, she passed away recently. She was a street photography pioneer and her work is so delicate and poetic and witty)

Richard Avedon - 1946 - 2004 (the exhbition book: if you have a chance to go see the exhibition: do it. immediately)

Guy Bourdin - Exhibit A (out of print. To me, Bourdin was the best fashion photographer that ever lived, to this day even)

Mary Ellen Mark - Exposure (The best of her documentaries. The personal anecdotes in the back of the book alone are worth it).

Diane Arbus - Aperture Monograph (Even some people (like me) feel Arbus' work was exploitative (is that a word?) and her views of her subjects not always clear, if you look at her psychological profile you could say that she didn't portray all these (strange) people, she portrayed herself, through her choices and through those people. But that's a whole other discussion. Her work fascinates me.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I have some of my favorite gallery books in mind.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Return, Afghanistan by Zalma&iuml;

<span style="font-size: medium;"]The Photographer's Eye by John Szarkowski

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Pulitzer Prize and World Press Photos, I don't remember the name of the author, but it's an excellemt gallery of historical Pilitzer winners' photos.

Understanding Exposure - Peterson

The Photographer's Guide to Using Light - Schwartz/Stoppee

Professional Techniques for the Wedding Photographer - Schaub (even if you don't shoot weddings)

Starting Photography - Langford

"John Hedgecoe's New Introductory Photography Course" and "The Photographers Handbook" by John Hedgecoe. They probably seem pretty cliche' now but they helped me understand things a heck of a lot better. The first one is probably the easiest read and the one I have used most. The 2nd is a little more technical and I used it as a consulting guide.

There is a photographer named Tom Algire. I have a book that he's featured in called "The Rockies" by Jean Martin. I'm not even sure where the book came from but its definitely inspired me quite a bit and been in my family since the 80's. Since then I've searched out a lot of his work online. When you see them you'll probably recognize some of them.

For other inspiration, and you'll probably think this is weird, I love to watch my childhood favorite movies. Widescreen Only! Steven Speilberg and George Lucas/Irvin Kershner really knew how to frame a shot! I realize they're cinema and some of the rules don't apply but still, there is definitely some incredible inspiration to be drawn from their work. And rules are meant to be broken! Plus the use of light and color. And I don't limit it to just these films. Think about your own favorites and go back and watch them. Its a unique perspective. I also draw inspiration from classic artists and also Pop culture artists like Alex Ross. I know. Comic books you say? No seriously. If anyone should understand pictures its someone who has to do it entirely from scratch.

Just some thoughts.